1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Is this Feasible?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Angelus, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angelus

Angelus New Member

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    Hi all, I am new to the site but am loving it so far. My wife and I are buying a new home that has oil baseboard heat. The previous owner ran a wood stove through the fireplace but took it with him when he left. I would like to put in a pellet stove in its place as the primary heat for the house. The home is 2 story, 2100sqft. Very open floor plan. The upstairs is zoned separately from the downstairs on the oil boiler. I would use the oil only as a back up if the stove didn't provide enough heat. The house is an older farm house but has been totally redone with blown in insulation and new windows throughout. Does it sound like a pellet stove would do the job or would it be stressed heating a house that large. I have seen a lot of good things about the harmon p68 and am considering it. Please give me suggestions. Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Flammam

Flammam Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western, Ma.
    I am running an older Austroflamm in my house. 2100sf open floor plan. The insulation isn't that great and the windows could use a replacing this year. I burn about 3 tons per year and the house stays between 70-74. I never turn the stove above 1/2 way up it would force you out of the living room where it is located. The climate here is probally simular to what you have in central NY.
  3. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    Based on what you describe I think you can heat your house with a pellet stove. Natural airflow dynamics would be the only other factor that you woudl be dealing with. The P68 is not a bad choice, it does throw a lot of heat. I'd say getting the warm air to evenly spread itself out is the challenge.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.