Is this Feasible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelus

Feb 28, 2008
Capital Region, NY
Hi all, I am new to the site but am loving it so far. My wife and I are buying a new home that has oil baseboard heat. The previous owner ran a wood stove through the fireplace but took it with him when he left. I would like to put in a pellet stove in its place as the primary heat for the house. The home is 2 story, 2100sqft. Very open floor plan. The upstairs is zoned separately from the downstairs on the oil boiler. I would use the oil only as a back up if the stove didn't provide enough heat. The house is an older farm house but has been totally redone with blown in insulation and new windows throughout. Does it sound like a pellet stove would do the job or would it be stressed heating a house that large. I have seen a lot of good things about the harmon p68 and am considering it. Please give me suggestions. Thanks

I am running an older Austroflamm in my house. 2100sf open floor plan. The insulation isn't that great and the windows could use a replacing this year. I burn about 3 tons per year and the house stays between 70-74. I never turn the stove above 1/2 way up it would force you out of the living room where it is located. The climate here is probally simular to what you have in central NY.

Based on what you describe I think you can heat your house with a pellet stove. Natural airflow dynamics would be the only other factor that you woudl be dealing with. The P68 is not a bad choice, it does throw a lot of heat. I'd say getting the warm air to evenly spread itself out is the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.