Is this FREE wood worth taking??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I have a chance to grab cords and cords of Beech and White Birch already cut into 16-18 inch lengths for free. The problem is some were dead trees and the end of the cuts show water-like stains. I think it may be "spalting". The splits also show the water stains but the wood is hard not punky. If I was going to burn it in a year or two I'd just grab it. The problem (nice problem!) is that I am already 3-4 years ahead on wood and I am afraid this stuff will rot before I get to it if the decay process (spalting??) has already started. The White Birch looks perfect, but I know needs to be split right away or will rot.

Will the water-stained Beech and very solid White Birch last 4 years if split and covered? I don't want to burn any of it first, my 3-4 year supply is already nicely planned out. I don't want to end up with cords of junk wood in 4 years but I also don't want to pass on this great deal!!

If it's not rotten yet and you want to burn in a year. Next year burn it and re-start the rotation with wood you stacked so you know it will be fine if it sits another year.
That way you don't have to wait 3-4 years. Your wood will be 4-5 years old and from what I've read that's no problem if it's stacked off the ground. I guess it depends if you have the room. It sounds like having the room isn't a prob. The birch might be though. I know that will decay very quickly. Is the wood separated? Can you take only the beech?

Charlie

If you can keep it dry, it shouldn't rot any further.
The white birch is your biggest worry - it will go south on you the fastest.
The beech should out last it by 3-10 years.
The most important thing you said was "free".
Happy burning.

ckarotaka, thanks- I have a feeling you are right, I should squeeze this new stuff into my existing rotation. The wood is separated and I can take only the beech, which I considered. I just wish I knew how some light spalting affected the longevity. Room is not too much of a problem yet, but after getting this stuff my wife is going to send me out to sleep with the wood piles!

haul-split-sell-buy new toy

Free wood is good wood . . . as long as it isn't rotting already you should be good to go . . . and as mentioned work it into next year's wood supply if you are concerned about the wood rotting . . . I doubt it would rot away in a year . . . as long as it is up and dry it should be good for several more years (both the beech and white birch) . . . then again I burn punky (but dry) wood . . . although it's usually burned in the shoulder seasons.

spalting wont effect your fire wood,many wood workers source this out and make long lasting furniture with it....as far as the white birch goes,get it off the ground,better if it is spit,you,ll have no problem with it for years to come

If you find it needs to be used this year and you can't use all of it, it would be a nice opportunity to help someone out if you know anyone who needs wood.

Sounds like a great idea, but around here people tend to burn just for the occasional fun of it and think I'm crazy to heat 100% with wood. It Just depends on the area you live I guess. I used to live in upstate NY and it seemed there were lots more crazy wood burners like me.

Dry, hard, getting ready to rot is the normal condition of all fire wood but moisture is the catalyst. If it's not punky it's ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.