Is this gas or wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonterror

Dec 12, 2016
Marietta, GA
Hi there!

We are renting and have a fireplace. We'd like to use it after having it swept, but we don't want to spend to have it swept if we can't use it. It looks like it's piped for gas but there are not any gas logs. Also, under the house, the pipes are running towards the rest of the house, and there isn't a place that looks like you would hook up a propane tank. The house came with two real wood logs next to the fireplace, so I'm wondering if the gas isn't hooked up, or if it's possible to turn the gas off and use it as a wood fireplace. Any thoughts or advice would really be helpful! Thanks!
image_zpsudtupvwi.jpg IMG_1390_zpsbxuvinpp.jpg image_zpsfwts2ynv.jpg
The model is B836. I also uploaded some photos in my media folder? Sorry, I'm new!
image_zpspvjohusp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there!

We are renting and have a fireplace. We'd like to use it after having it swept, but we don't want to spend to have it swept if we can't use it. It looks like it's piped for gas but there are not any gas logs. Also, under the house, the pipes are running towards the rest of the house, and there isn't a place that looks like you would hook up a propane tank. The house came with two real wood logs next to the fireplace, so I'm wondering if the gas isn't hooked up, or if it's possible to turn the gas off and use it as a wood fireplace. Any thoughts or advice would really be helpful! Thanks!
View attachment 190134 View attachment 190135 View attachment 190136
The model is B836. I also uploaded some photos in my media folder? Sorry, I'm new!
View attachment 190137
I would need to see more but im pretty sure thatsa zero clearance fireplace designed for woodburning that had either gas logs or a gas lighter installed

Agreed. If it's a B836, it's a wood burning fireplace. Before burning in it the chimney and fireplace should be checked by a certified chimney sweep.

Reactions: Bostonterror
I know exactly what that is. My wife's uncle has a very similar set up. It was a wood burning fireplace that they then piped in gas to.

Not even kidding when I say this.

They just drilled a bunch of holes in a black iron pipe and lite that and close the damper_g_g_g. Then after an hour they open a window a crack to vent the CO.

Seriously, Not kidding.

Don't do that though. I've also seen some people who don't like to actually lite a fire and what they do is pipe in gas to the fire place so they can start their logs without having to deal with kindling and stuff.

It appears they were using it as a gas fireplace and the fire logs are missing. You shouldn't have an issue using that as a wood burner though, but definitely get it sweeper and inspected.

It looks like your fireplace has a gas log lighter installed. The plate on the hearth with a square hole is a gas valve that turns on the gas to the log lighter. The tube that comes out of the left side of the firebox is the gas piping, and the tube that runs across the bottom of the firebox has small holes in it. To use it to light the fire, you would put your wood on the grate, hold a lit match or lighter near the tube, and open the gas valve. When the wood is burning properly, you turn the gas off. The key for the gas valve looks like a skate key for old fashioned steel skates with a long stem and a square hole that fits over the valve stem. You could replace the gas log lighter pipe with gas logs, as long as they are listed for use in manufactured fireplaces and the fireplace is in good condition. You should definitely get the fireplace and venting system checked before use.

Status
Not open for further replies.