Is this Hackberry worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I scrounged up a large Hackberry tree and can take as little or much as I want. It has been down a year or more and some of the 12" limbs were already dry. The dry sections reminded me of a cross between a Poplar and Tree of Heaven...a rather light wood that could go punky fast. The main trunks are still green and heavy.

I am fortunate enough to be a selective scrounger...generally getting decent hardwoods and only taking low quantities of poplar and pine for shoulder season and kindling. I can get the truck pretty close but don't want to invest the energy to load/transport/split/stack a bunch if this Hackberry ends up being a lightweight firewood. I was excited when I first saw it as I thought it was in the elm family, but am now thinking it isn't so much???

2D888A47-7276-4A1E-BE09-BA56DDEB12C4_zpsuwyk9r1p.jpg

4CB6F53E-0D0B-4925-BCD3-EEB079D78BC6_zpshhjti1bs.jpg

You where excited about elm? I want some of what your smoken.

I have a new splitter arriving this week :p

It is in the elm family. Decent BTU's but not oak. I'd get it for sure but I even get cottonwood as I am a wood whore.

Reactions: EMB5530
Take a load of the easy bits first to see how stringy it's going to be. Had a big one down in my yard, and I swear every single split had to be separated with a hatchet. But the split limbs season quickly and dry Hackberry is DEFINITELY preferable to wet anything else. Lights easy and burns predictably.

Except for sweet gum, hardwood is almost always worth it. Mix it in with oak & hickory or burn it on the shoulders.

I take it when I can get it. It is very stringy. Only take if you have a hydraulic splitter. Nasty splitting by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.