Is This Hickory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrounger

Feb 13, 2007
Rockford, MI
I have quite a few pieces of this wood mixed in with a pile of oak that I'm splitting. Sometimes my maul just bounces off when I'm splitting it, barely leaving a dent. This wood is heavy, almost feels heavier than some of the oak pieces. Some of the pieces are fairly stringy after splitting. I'm thinking it is hickory from what little bit I know. Any ideas from the experts?

Attachments

• MVC-276F.jpg
    MVC-276F.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 953
  • MVC-277F.jpg
    MVC-277F.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 975
  • MVC-278F.jpg
    MVC-278F.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 944
  • MVC-280F.jpg
    MVC-280F.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 938
Does it laugh at you when your maul bounces off? If so, then it's hickory. At least in my experience. H.

Sure looks like hickory to me. One of the smoother-barked varieties.

Well, to the best of my limited experience, shagbark is about the only Hickory in Upstate NY. And that bark ain't shagbark.

But . . .um . . .why would you split stuff that small??

I have found shagbark hickory to be rather easy and fun to split compared to some - but as others have noted, this is not shagbark. That being said, the inside looks exactly what shagbark does so I wouldn't be surprised if this is some type of hickory.

-Colin

I've never split Hickory in my life, but if it's difficult, there should be no trouble telling the diff between it and Red Oak, which, other than Ash, must be the easiest wood to split.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I've never split Hickory in my life, but if it's difficult, there should be no trouble telling the diff between it and Red Oak, which, other than Ash, must be the easiest wood to split.

That in the end is what made me re-think I had Hickory. It split like a dream, so I knew I was dealing with something else. I took a piece to work and we all discussed it. Finally a guy from the parks dept came in and ID it as Red Oak.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Well, to the best of my limited experience, shagbark is about the only Hickory in Upstate NY. And that bark ain't shagbark.

But . . .um . . .why would you split stuff that small??

I know that it isn't a shagbark hickory as I have a pile of that waiting to be split.

Looking at this site, the top left picture showing the leaf characteristics, the bark in the background looks just like some of the pieces I have.

http://www.oplin.lib.oh.us/tree/fact pages/hickory_pignut/hickory_pignut.html

Not sure what you mean by splitting it 'that small'. I split some stuff and leave it large and some medium. I don't split stuff small. Atleast I don't try to. Sometimes I don't swing accurately and I end up with a small split.

Wolves-Lower said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

That in the end is what made me re-think I had Hickory. It split like a dream, so I knew I was dealing with something else. I took a piece to work and we all discussed it. Finally a guy from the parks dept came in and ID it as Red Oak.

Red Oak splits pretty easy. I had some rounds I split last year that were about 24" across. One or two wacks with the maul and it popped right apart. Has a distinct smell and grain structure after its been split.

Some of the rounds of this stuff I posted pictures of splits pretty easy. A couple wacks and it flies apart. Other pieces really hang on with the stringy pieces. I've noticed the stringy stuff has a knot or two running through it.

I'm guessing that this stuff is the pignut hickory in the link I sent in the other post.

I’m guessing that this stuff is the pignut hickory in the link I sent in the other post

That seems like a real good guess.
BTW I love that site, it is a great one!

Looks lig hickory to me too, pig would seem right since it certainly isn't shagbark. But the hickory I have splits real nice and is not stringy or splintery like an oak or elm. The brown in the center kinda gives it away.

Yes, Thats pignut.... back in May I was trying to ID that wood here on the forums.........here are some pictures

Attachments

• woodbutcher_00001.jpg
    woodbutcher_00001.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 305
Here is a comparison on different Hickories.

Attachments

• pignut_shag1.jpg
    pignut_shag1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 286
  • shellbark_mocker2.jpg
    shellbark_mocker2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 304
Status
Not open for further replies.