Is this ironwood (Hop hornbeam)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-roy_

Burning Hunk
Dec 30, 2015
Central Minnesota
image.jpeg image.jpeg What do you guys think?

It doesn't look like iron wood to me
but I have been known to be wrong

Looks a lot like this, no?
image.png image.png

First picture limb on right maybe. Second picture I would say no.

Looks like Black Cherry. Not sure where you are at in Central MN but there is a lot of Black Cherry along the river down by Red Wing, Wabasha, and SE of there.

Reactions: mike van
I have to agree with black cherry

middle fork bark in first pic actually looks a lot like horn beam. Other branches certainly black cherry looking bark. Cross section looks like cherry. Horn Beam cross section lighter in my experience and has that darker center section. Certainly unique if you've seen it.

First pic, leaves look kinda like elm (asymmetrical bases), but I don't know about the wood - looks huge for ironwood (Ostrya virginiana), and the twigs are usually very slender. Second pic is definitely black cherry.

Yeah I think cherry also. How did it cut? Cherry cuts pretty easy iron wood does not at all. I don't have much experience with it but the little i do have tells me I dont want to cut much of it.

The second pic looks just like black cherry. The first pic is interesting with those two different bark patterns, though.

Yeah I think cherry also. How did it cut? Cherry cuts pretty easy iron wood does not at all. I don't have much experience with it but the little i do have tells me I dont want to cut much of it.
I didn't personally cut any of it yet. My BIL dropped it at my house, he owns a tree service.

Status
Not open for further replies.