Is this Kubota worth 3k?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I to don't know tractors. But that is a tractor and I think it will take a hell of a ATV to do what that could do. That thing has a 3 point hitch PTO. All depends what you need. Pulling a trailer, you can do fine with a ATV. All depends what shape it's in. The rubber looks good. Maybe it just sat outside. What did that cost new? I think it's cool, but I'd love to have a tractor. Until then I get by with a ATV.
Sure it could do more farm stuff then an Atv. Mowing, attachments, and it probably cost a lot more new. But going up steel hills and tight turns in the woods is not that things cup of tea. Just like mowing isn't an ATV cup of tea.
Gosh, just getting that tractor through to woods to a down tree makes me cringe. How many low limbs is that going to run into? An 4x4 atv is only a 4ft wide path 4ft hight if you duck. Takes hills like a champ, and winches make moving logs easy peasy.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Sure it could do more farm stuff then an Atv. Mowing, attachments, and it probably cost a lot more new. But going up steel hills and tight turns in the woods is not that things cup of tea. Just like mowing isn't an ATV cup of tea.
Gosh, just getting that tractor through to woods to a down tree makes me cringe. How many low limbs is that going to run into? An 4x4 atv is only a 4ft wide path 4ft hight if you duck. Takes hills like a champ, and winches make moving logs easy peasy.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Yea, the suspension on a modern ATV would be far greater than that tractor. Maybe the cab comes off for the summer. I'm thinking the gearing, weight, size wheels, winter cab. It's a shame you have to drive backwards to snow blow.

I love my old 50hp Kubota - it is a 3 ton tank and does about as well on hills as a tractor can (wheels are set all the way out, loaded, and have weights). I am going to buy a grapple for it next year. I would eventually like to get a quad just to run about my property and go grab dead tamarack at my friends place that borders 1800 acres of paper company land. It is landlocked so he has a wide selection of available wood that is already drying as it stands.

Luckily my neighbor got a 115hp ASV skidsteer with a grapple, forks, and bucket. That thing is a beast and it handles the hills no problem. We just share the machines. Now I just need somebody in my life with a backhoe........

Yea, the suspension on a modern ATV would be far greater than that tractor. Maybe the cab comes off for the summer. I'm thinking the gearing, weight, size wheels, winter cab. It's a shame you have to drive backwards to snow blow.

Driving in reverse to snow blow sucks. Hurts my neck just thinking about it. I have a 1600' long driveway that goes up 200' from the road and I use an old Jeep with a snowsport plow. It works great and it's nice to be dry and listen to the radio while you plow. With that said, it is a lot of fun plowing with a quad and they are amazingly fast once you get a rhythm.

The problem with the compact tractors is (as others have said) hills. They are notoriously unstable and even when they feel stable on a hill you can put a load on them and tip right over without much warning. With that said, they are tremendous little workhorses under the right circumstances.

Given what you are describing I also think you would be better off with an ATV. The ATV will outperform the snowblower also with a cheap blade and it's fun to boot.

I would much rather have that tractor & blower than an ATV with a blade, if I lived somewhere that usually got any amount of snow. (Like here). Even if it meant going backwards. It only takes a couple of dumps and you're up against big snowbanks with a blade. You could likely also easily put a blade on the front of the tractor & have it both ways. (Not sure what the rusty get-up is on the front of that one, but maybe there already was a blade on it?). Take the blower off when winter ends & put a tiller on & now you're farming - lol.

But it all still comes down to individual situations & preferences - there is no one universal 'right' answer. That tractor would be pretty handy though - and I like using my ATV to scrounge wood with, I go places with it that tractor would have a hard time going. And get out of the woods faster too.

Reactions: Lcback
The Kubota we have, a more current vintage, can hook up the blower to the front. Would think that would also be an option for this older one. Makes the driveway and the shared laneway easy to keep clear. The blower does have the advantage over a plow, like maple1 mentioned, of minimal build-up of snowbanks that narrow the laneway. Best option we used so far besides the walk-behind blower (truck plow, ATV plow). You do stay warmer with the walk-behind but more work...

The OP is mainly looking at it for wood removal from his hilly land. May not be the best for the hills but lots of other uses!

That little kubota will fit in back of a long bed truck. The one we used to have, we put in black of a 79 chevy 3/4 ton. It turned just as sharp if not sharper than the bigger 4x4 atv's. As far as height,I think you sit higher on my brute force than that little tractor.

I called the guy with the tractor yesterday. Just out of curiosity, since the ad was still up. He said that it sold three days after posting, he just forgot to remove the ad. Did not ask how much he got for it.

Put a bucket on that tractor and I wouldn't even question which one I would have. The atv may be more suited for hilly terrain but the tractor will hands down have more brute force.
I guess in all fairness I would have to see what and where you are working. One mans "woods" is another man's brush pile and one man's hills are another man's mountains.
Front end loaders are the cats meow for wood working IF you are where they can be maneuvered.

("man" being used in the form of hu-man, no gender reference intended.:p)

Mute point now....

Status
Not open for further replies.