Is this Maple..and what kind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k9brain

Nov 16, 2010
Jersey Shore
Got a small score the other day and I'm wondering what it is.

The big one to the left is a swamp maple, I'm wondering what the ones to the right with the white wood are.

I'll also include a scan of one of the branches.

Thanks.

Attachments

• woodid2.jpg
    woodid2.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 479
  • Branch2.jpg
    Branch2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 465
Thank you for providing a bud shot. It definitely is not maple, ash, dogwood, or horse chestnut because the leaf arrangement is not opposite. Unfortunately I don't recognize the bud.

Matt

The ones on the right seem, from a distance, to be norway maple.

If so, good stuff, but give it at least a year to dry properly and do its best.

CTYank said:
The ones on the right seem, from a distance, to be norway maple.

If so, good stuff, but give it at least a year to dry properly and do its best.

+1 norway

k9brain said:
Got a small score the other day and I'm wondering what it is.

The big one to the left is a swamp maple, I'm wondering what the ones to the right with the white wood are.

I'll also include a scan of one of the branches.

Thanks.

twig looks like birch to me - maybe yellow or black birch?

those logs look like norway maple

Doesnt look like Norway maple to me......Norway has smaller ridged bark.....

The twigs look like Black Gum (Nyssa sylvatica), and I think the bark is similar to medium-sized Black Gums around here. I have never cut any Black Gum, so I can't say if the wood looks right or not.

I'll assume it's Norway maple and stack it in with the wood to be used 2012-2013.

The twig came from, or was growing out of, one of the logs you see here. I was very careful with the twig for ID purposes.

The only other tree that was cut down with it was a pine. And I didn't take much of that.

Thanks for all the help!

I have three Norway Maples in my grove and they look like what is in the picture.

The bark of this tree is almost plated.....Norway is not plated at all. Very small ridges....even on older Norways....never plated. Dont know about the bud but if the guys on here know what they are talking about and are saying the bud is not Norway and you are saying the bud came from the log....well.....again I think you have something other than Norway maple here......

If you look at the twig you will see that the buds are arranged alternately, that is one bud on one side of the twig, then a short way up the twig there is a bud on the other side. Maples have opposite leaves and buds, which means there will in most cases a bud on one side of the twig matched by a bud on the other side of the twig. (I say 'in most cases' because you can always find somewhere on the tree a bud without its matching bud due to damage or loss of the opposite bud).

So, maples have opposite buds, this twig has alternate buds, therefore this definitely isn't a maple of any kind. Also not an Ash.

Believe the guys who tell you it's not maple. If that twig and those logs came from the same tree, it was NOT a maple tree! Alternate vs. opposite is a distinction you can really rely on.
The twig does remind me of Nyssa sylvatica (black gum, sour gum). I've never cut any, but I'm told the wood is the very devil to split. Have you tried splitting any?

Okay, I bucked the logs into 12" lengths and tried to split it.
The maul bounced off it.
The ax stuck in it and wouldn't come out.
The 5 hp electric splitter just crushed and shredded it.
It may be black gum. This is some evil splitting wood. How's it burn?

Attachments

• crush.jpg
    crush.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 226
Bark is totally wrong for hornbeam. I don't think I've ever seen black gum in the tables that give BTUs/ton, but I believe the wood is fairly dense.

dannynelson77 said:
Again that is not Norway Maple......bark of Norway has smaller ridges.......I have cut down a lot of Norway.....trust me.....its NOT Norway maple.

http://www.oplin.org/tree/fact pages/maple_norway/maple_norway.html

I have to concur....we have tons of Norway Maple here (its been named an invasive species) and it does NOT look like any norway Ive seen. The bark of Norway is thinner and smoother 'round these parts. If it WERE, if split and stacked well in the wind and sun, it would be ready for '11-'12 burning...its seasons relatively quickly.
Perhaps the the twig and the wood are NOT from the same tree...and upon seeing the splintered splits...i would say gum.

Status
Not open for further replies.