Is this maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundgunner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2013
Rural CT
I think it is maple but far from sure. I need to know so I have an idea on drying time.
Thanks

looks like dead maple, moisture meter it..<20% its a good winter score

Yeah maybe Sugar maple, does it feel heavy?
Is it a CL ad?
It looks like its got some seasoning time on it. You can just test it with a meter like the other guy said.

It was cut by a tree company doing wire trimming. Lead man gave me a call with the address. I was not sure if it was oak, I don't need it for this year but wanted to know if it would be dry for next year and it sounds like it will. That is good for me because most of what I have CSS is oak dropped in 2014.

Oh yeah, it is heavy. I was also able to get 1.2 cord of aspen and birch mix off the side of the road. I finished getting it stacked today. That is next years fall wood. The maple I have been getting should be next year dead of winter wood. 2016-2017 winter I have about 12-14 cord of oak.

I worked a live cut silver maple in July or August, and I split small, 2-3". It was as heavy as anything. And it was generally very hard to split near the base. But it's extremely light today and burning fine. I'd measure the moisture content but I don't think I can split the stuff any smaller!;)

Looks like red maple. The pale green lichen, I see that a lot on the reds here. It seasons comparatively quickly. We burn a lot of red maple, it's decent firewood.

It is either Red or Silver, They are very similar in looks .Sometimes the only way to tell them apart is by the leaves. Oh and to make matters worse there is Freemans Maple which is a cross between the two. At any rate it is definitely not Sugar Maple.

I think it is maple but far from sure. I need to know so I have an idea on drying time.
Thanks

I have the same wood, it tested 30% plus last month when I split it and it tested 30% plus today when I retested the splits. I'm thinking it should be good to go next November, but we will see....

Couple of different woods there. Maple for sure. Smoother bark not sure or the bark fell off

I have the same wood, it tested 30% plus last month when I split it and it tested 30% plus today when I retested the splits. I'm thinking it should be good to go next November, but we will see....
For sure next year, dries fairly quick, I always get ash and maple for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.