Is this monster oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Red oak trunks take a little while for it to turn red, but red it will turn! (Done a few of these big suckers)

Cut it to length, quarter it with the saw, load it & take it home. I'm in the maple camp on this one btw. A C

firetender said:
the bark on that tree looks like a maple I had cut down, about the same size too.

Yup, sure looks like norway maple, a very mature one.

nrford said:
It's a Red Oak no doubt about it!!

I WAS NOT GUESSING.

Aw man, don't be scared! If you can get it in rounds go for it.

My guess is soft maple, red or Silver. Lots of firewood there if you can get it split.

Four pages of chat about one log? LOL too funny!! Steve aka FBF go get the damn tree already and tell us what you got! The suspense is killing me! Hell go get the tree and poly it and display it in your home but whatever you do just get the damned tree! lmao ..

Ray

raybonz said:
Four pages of chat about one log? LOL too funny!! Steve aka FBF go get the damn tree already and tell us what you got! The suspense is killing me! Hell go get the tree and poly it and display it in your home but whatever you do just get the damned tree! lmao ..

Ray

Maybe he's 10 years wood and is making us all salivate over how many btu's we'd get out of it. LOL!! Each day I look hoping to see it bucked out to 16" rounds and half split. Yes I said 16". Anything bigger will be too difficult to move.

The look of that end grain with its hard grain lines and light-colored medullary rays (clearly seen on the outer right hand side of the stump in this blowup) speaks only oak to me. Looks very much like white oak except the bark. Maybe a white/red hybrid?

OakEndGrain.jpg

Battenkiller said:
The look of that end grain with its hard grain lines and light-colored medullary rays (clearly seen on the outer right hand side of the stump in this blowup) speaks only oak to me. Looks very much like white oak except the bark. Maybe a white/red hybrid?

OakEndGrain.jpg

Its red give it a little more time and it will change to a hard red.

Ive never seen red oak change to red after cuttin. Its already red from the start. That round does look like oak. But i dont think you can see a medullary ray from the end grain. Must see them on the face of a split.

You can see them in oak!! And that is red oak for the third time!

I'm pretty confident that is black oak.

One botanist report I was reading (on the net) about oaks says there is just two real types of oak.. black and white. All the varieties are just basically sub species of black and white. I'd have never known. Still not sure I do. (No offense to the botanist) ;-)

Constrictor said:
Ive never seen red oak change to red after cuttin. Its already red from the start. That round does look like oak. But i dont think you can see a medullary ray from the end grain. Must see them on the face of a split.

Now you have.......... ;-) Stump after a month.

Attachments

• ported.jpg
    ported.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 133
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but I have passed on it. No matter what it is, it is just too much for me to manage. There are too many crotches and branches for an an easy hand split and I do not want to spend the $$$ on splitter rental when there is so much easier wood around me, and I have three year supply now. I don't have to struggle with stuff like this.
Anybody close enough interested, here's the CL ad. I'll be happy to come watch, maybe even help somebody out, just don't ask me to split or lift the stuff!
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/zip/2714867182.html . It's less than 10 minutes form the Eastern side of the Bear Mountain Bridge in Peekskill, NY. Only minutes from major highways. There is a hospital nearby too!

Flatbedford said:
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but I have passed on it. No matter what it is, it is just too much for me to manage. There are too many crotches and branches for an an easy hand split and I do not want to spend the $$$ on splitter rental when there is so much easier wood around me, and I have three year supply now. I don't have to struggle with stuff like this.
Anybody close enough interested, here's the CL ad. I'll be happy to come watch, maybe even help somebody out, just don't ask me to split or lift the stuff!
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/zip/2714867182.html . It's less than 10 minutes form the Eastern side of the Bear Mountain Bridge in Peekskill, NY. Only minutes from major highways. There is a hospital nearby too!

lol, cant blame you. I dont want to do another one ever! :lol:

Battenkiller said:

OakEndGrain.jpg

Agreed, it's definetLEE oak .
I'm leaning to white oak also. That stained sap wood screams white oak.

uncontrolabLEE said:
I'm leaning to white oak also.

I don't think the bark is thick enough for a white of that age. That is the only reason I leaned to the Red side. When I get one of comparable size (I probably do about 2 a year of this size) the bark can/will be 2" thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.