Is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikespirito

Oct 2, 2013
Coventry RI
I put my Quadra 1200 on this morning and it took about 5 minutes for the blower to come on.

My Mount Vernon usually takes between 3 and 5 minutes for the convection fan to turn on.

Convection or exhaust?

Depends on the feed rate and heat settings put it on high it will be on real fast.

stove gets up to temp before it sends air through its heat sinks.

Have not had the convection fan come on in 4 days. I test it though. Idle mode is nice and quiet for this not yet real cold weather. 70 upstairs and 73 by the stove. 31 outside.

If you're referring to the room air blower, that sounds perfectly normal. Stove has to get up to temp before proof of fire switch turns fan on.

Have not had the convection fan come on in 4 days. I test it though. Idle mode is nice and quiet for this not yet real cold weather. 70 upstairs and 73 by the stove. 31 outside.
You mean that your stove is burning but the room blower NEVER HAS COME ON IN FOUR DAYS?

my stove sometimes does this on crappy pellets on setting 1. it just doesn't get hot enough for the stove to think it needs to blow air.

so far, only energex north American and newp's have done this.

I will never buy either again

So the only heat coming off the stove is radiant heat? That sure sounds like a waste of pellets! I just was amazed with it 31 degrees outside and the house at 73 degrees, how he could ever get enough radiant heat to do that!

What?? Why even have the stove running? _g

Waste of pellets, IMO.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Its heating the floor and domestic water! If the outside temp were to get above 40 would shut down for twelve hours or so but have not seen much sun or anything above 40 for several days. Only one happy around the valley is the propain dealer supplying corn driers.

Last edited:
It does seem like a waste of pellets, but the trade off in some cases depending on house size/layout, are temp swings. My Harman has been running for 5 days straight without the fan coming on...well the first hour it was on. If the dist fan came on, I'd most certainly overheat the house in a short time. It's a space heater, heating an entire house. If I put it in auto mode, I'm almost positive (haven't tried it yet) I'd have significant temp swings upstairs. I couldn't care less but I want my daughters room warm.

I'm still saving a ton of money over the course of the heating season vs burning oil.

The same above issue with my P-38 gave me a good reason to install an override switch that runs my distrib. fan constantly. The stove originally needed to burn hotter (more pellets) than what was necessary during the shoulder seasons just to make the distrib fan operate. I can now get over 40 hrs on a bag.
Not a lot of heat on low but enough to keep the house warm.
I do get a small amount of creosote burning it low but it burns off when I turn the stove up. Another potential problem with low burning could be gumming up the auger and burning off the tip (replaced my orig auger ) since the lower flame (like a blow torch) burns much closer to the auger . I now pull the auger every year to check and clean out any buildup in the tube no matter how minimal it is. It can and will build up more each year if left untouched.
Lesson is : every action causes a reaction!

Its heating the floor and domestic water! If the outside temp were to get above 40 would shut down for twelve hours or so but have not seen much sun or anything above 40 for several days. Only one happy around the valley is the propain dealer supplying corn driers.
So, the fan doesn't come on because the internal coils that are circulating water remove most of the heat so the proof of fire switch doesn't get hot enough to trigger....right?

Reactions: DBCOOPER
So, the fan doesn't come on because the internal coils that are circulating water remove most of the heat so the proof of fire switch doesn't get hot enough to trigger....right?
ESP regulates the fuel to keep the stove at a safe temp and the room probe will bump the fan to bring on the fan if room needs more heat. The upstairs temp swing is around 2 degrees. Typical idle without coil is around 7k btus and the stove is a hot body like most wood stoves. I am heating 3000 sq. ft.

ESP regulates the fuel to keep the stove at a safe temp and the room probe will bump the fan to bring on the fan if room needs more heat. The upstairs temp swing is around 2 degrees. Typical idle without coil is around 7k btus and the stove is a hot body like most wood stoves. I am heating 3000 sq. ft.
That is definitely neat! I think we're looking at the future here.

Its just using what Harman has optimally IMO.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Status
Not open for further replies.