Is this normal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
I'm burning the napoleon insert and I noticed that the top plate is starting to fade in color. Now I bought the stove last feb and this really is the first season of 24/7 . I was just wondering if it's do to over firing the stove or is this common with the flat black finish.
I would like to wish every body a happy holiday and thanks again for the info

Attachments

• 2008 fall leafs 044.jpg
    2008 fall leafs 044.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 279
  • 2008 fall leafs 043.jpg
    2008 fall leafs 043.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 278
Yes, it's normal. The tough choice now is what brand of stove polish to go with. Many brands have a grey shiny colour like pencil lead. They also apply differently to colder parts than to the hotter parts. Keep in mind as well that some brands don't store well and will dry out before you use it all up, giving you different results again.

Our older stoves turned grey too but I always liked a black stove...so I don't think you have a stove problem if you're worried about that.

Last year we got a QF 4300 and it has stayed black so far, knocking on wood. I would never again use spray paint for a stove...just say'en.

Status
Not open for further replies.