Is this normal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timlynne

Dec 2, 2010
No Central Pa
I had a new SS liner put in on Wed. The guy told me to wait 72 hrs before building a fire. After that build a small fire and burn 1 pc of wood then after that burns down 1 more pierce of wood, after that burns down go ahead a build a good fire. Well I burned 3 pcs of wood 1 at a time then put in a load I am burning it at medium burn . Water is running down the wall from my cleanout Is this a problem?

Yes, water running from the cleanout is a problem. Is the cleanout still functional or has the liner disabled it?

Several possible sources. If moist air ffrom inside the home is being sucked up the chimney, it can form frost that then melts when heated by a fire. Make sure there is a good seal at the bottom and at the top.

Wet wood can condense inside the flue but then that usually is not described as water since it would likely be black. Excess humidity near the stove can also condense in the flue if the stove draws moist air from the room rather than dry outside air.

It is clear water and I believe from the smell it is the insulation, that I smell so it must be the water added to the vermiculite that is now running down

My guess is that since it was done the temp haven't gotten above 32 and the insulation froze. Now with starting the fire it is thawing out.

I opened up the clean out and it is full of very dry insulation. The clean out slopes toward the basement and it looks like the water ran under the insulation unless it came from the insulation that is in the cleanout and the heat just dried it out. Any one have any idea if my insulation is now screwed up?

What does you insulation consist of?

I believe it is vermiculite The bag said Ever Guard. It was dry and they mixed it with water

Status
Not open for further replies.