Is this oak? (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
We were out scouting trees for this coming weekend "woodcutting extravaganza" and were in an area that has been previously cut by us and another guy. All the good maple is gone, but i came across several groups of large trees that my brother in law insisted were boxelder, thats why they never cut them in the past. oak is very scarce on my father in laws 200 acres because he said that 10 years ago all the oak caught a disease and died. This sure looks like oak to me... sorry no leaves to identify it.

IMG00044.jpg

IMG00045.jpg

Andy, where have you been?

If you can get more pictures further up the tree and maybe one from a distance it would help. That second picture sort of looks like red oak but as usual, it is so difficult to tell looking at pictures. And naturally, you don't have any with the grain showing, but someone should be able to help. Like I stated, as few more pictures would help.

btw, the way those two trees are together at the bottom is very typical of red oak.

Backwoods Savage said:
Andy, where have you been?

If you can get more pictures further up the tree and maybe one from a distance it would help. That second picture sort of looks like red oak but as usual, it is so difficult to tell looking at pictures. And naturally, you don't have any with the grain showing, but someone should be able to help. Like I stated, as few more pictures would help.

btw, the way those two trees are together at the bottom is very typical of red oak.

Hey Savage! Things have been busy at work...

Anyways, i will try to get one from a distance, but I only have my phone (lost the cord for our digital camera) so i dont know how the quality will be. I'll bring the saw too and see if i can get a limb off to see come grain.

I have a tree in my yard that looks identical and i cut/burned and i remember the flesh being very brown. Also, now that I think about it I remember seeing lits of little "fruits" all over the grounf underneath these trees, if that helps any.

EDIT: It also looks alot like this tree: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/37022/

Blah Ho Vick said:
Ash or basswood
Looks like ash to me never seen bass wood!

I don't think it is oak, but photo Id is not my specialty. It loooks like White Ash to me. Almost as good as oak, maybe better if you need to burn it next year, since Ash should be seasoned in a year, oak probably not.

I guess the bottom like is it really doesnt matter what it is, so long as its not bottom of the barrell stuff. I have plenty of pine that is easy pickings for my softwood stash.

Would you guys spend an entire day cutting and hauling these trees if you werent sure about the quality of the wood?

CowboyAndy said:
I guess the bottom like is it really doesnt matter what it is, so long as its not bottom of the barrell stuff. I have plenty of pine that is easy pickings for my softwood stash.

Would you guys spend an entire day cutting and hauling these trees if you werent sure about the quality of the wood?
Looks good andy should be ash or as lee said bass wood either way its good wood

Another option could be Bitternut Hickory - Carya Cordiformis...

Always hard to tell based on growing conditions and the pic..

The easiest way to begin to differentiate trees like this is to take a look at the branching pattern. If the tree branches opposite one another, it will most likely be Maple, Ash, Dogwood, Horse Chestnut, - with a few other options in there. If it is alternate branching - it could be everything else.

Also - take a look at what the dominant leaves are on the ground under the tree. Ash are compound leaves - so are hickory, but different numbers of leaflets...

I would if I had the spare time.

But I also burn just about anything. I've been passing lots of pine on the roadside lately (branch pickup time in a nearby town) I just don't have the time to get any of it right now with my new found oak supply that I've been working on. I could probably get 2 cords just on the way to work. Breaks my heart to know they are gonna toss it in the chipper. :mad:

So how do you guys rate ash? I mean I know its not maple, but is it better than say boxelder and popple? Does anyone have any good btu charts?

There is alot of this stuff, and its easy pickings... im cutting and burning it no matter what, just want to get an idea on the quality of it.

To add to the pros about ash - It splits very nicely too and there is plenty of it these days with all of them dying out. Makes me want to split by hand more...

COns - none that i know of unless you are love with another type of wood...

Check the small branches high up and see if they grow in a random pattern or if they grow across from each other.( I hope that makes sense) Ash tree branches grow across from each other. Not many other trees do that. Growing in a clump like that looks like Basswood.

Around here, Basswood has a smooth bark and always sends up lots of young suckers. The bark looks too coarse for the kind of Ash that grows here.

LLigetfa said:
Around here, Basswood has a smooth bark and always sends up lots of young suckers. The bark looks too coarse for the kind of Ash that grows here.

The pattern of the bark does look like ash to me.

Okay, heres a cut piece of the tree(s) in question
utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDkuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDguanBn.jpg

Also, got a nice surprise... this is hickory, right?

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTEuanBn.jpg

Oh ya, and I'm an idiot...
utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTMuanBn.jpg

and this is what it took to get out...
utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTIuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTQuanBn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.