Is this oak? (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1st picture is Ash. Can't comment on the other wood.

On pic #3 the growth rings look way too big to be Hickory and their is usually a lot of light and dark wood in Hickory.

webby, ya i am 99.9% sure its hickory, I cut some last season and had my step daughter look up the leaves at school. I didnt say anything about what i thought it might be, and she came home and said its shagbark hickory.

So with the ash, what is the seasoning time on it? Im cutting it now, going to spit by june. should be good to go by next season right?

I have to wait to june to split it and get it home because the area is not accessabile by truck right now (as illustrated in the pics above).

It's been said before, but I like ash for many reasons -- it offers decent BTUs, it splits wicked easily, good coaling and most of all . . . I have a lot of it on our family property where I cut wood and no oak, hickory or those highly prized trees for firewood.

Ash seasons pretty quickly . . . especially if split small. By "next season" are you talking heating for 2010-2011 or 2009-2010? I used quite a bit of ash this past winter that I had cut and split over the summer and it was OK . . . could have used a little more seasoning to get its full potential as some pieces had a bit of sizzle . . . and I tended to use this ash towards late-Winter vs. early on where I have no doubt it would have not burned as well.

Well, it will most likely come into play around december. one of the plus sides is that where i store my wood is very breezy and is in the sun for almost all of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.