is this oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
i see an ad on CL right now. nearby. i could convince myself to do a midnight run if this is actually oak... oak.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, and if it is oak, will it split with the fiskars after a couple whacks, or is it more work than that? pieces look a bit big to get in the trailer solo.

It looks like some kind of maple to me, but i'm not familiar with the species of your area. Maple or Oak regardless it's good stuff.

Give it a good whack on the edge of the round and it should begin to crack and split in half relatively easy.

i am not from the pacific nw, but yes- the bark on the round on the left makes it look like red oak.

the only thing im not crazy about is the huge amount of sap wood vs heart wood. never seen an oak like that.

i haven't gone yet. after reading about the difficulties of splitting pin oak, i elected to pass. i'll probably regret it... but i know i would drive myself crazy trying to split it without a hydraulic splitter if it was indeed difficult. bummer.

Most red oak I've split cracks open fairly easy. I'm also not sold on it being oak. Certainly could be, but like stated, the sap ring is a bit off. Second guess without a close up of the end is hard maple, which typically has tighter gray bark. Either would be very worth your time. Just my .02

Also think red oak. Cut really thin. Will be a pita to stack.

i see an ad on CL right now. nearby. i could convince myself to do a midnight run if this is actually oak...View attachment 189128
Wow. With a picture like that don't ask questions til it is all loaded in your truck and on your property. Get in your truck and go get it NOW. You snooze you loose!

well, ad is down. guess i missed out. probably saved my back though, so that's okay.

my stacks are full (9 cords) so i guess i'll just bide my time 'til more space opens. i would've made room for the oak!

Oak, especially large oak, is pretty uncommon here. I suspect that is big leaf maple. Our maple looked like that when it came down. It's a decent firewood once fully seasoned, but nothing like oak, more like alder for burning.

Wonder why the skinny rounds? Looks like it was cut for a 12-14" wood stove.

They probably cut them that small to more easily move around. Don't care about the firewood stacking issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.