is this ok

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corey21

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 28, 2010
Soutwest VA
i just found out that the top of my firebox were the burn tubes are that there were to firebricks sitting on top of the baffle. so i moved them back on top of the two flue exits at the back. i think this is why i get very high flue temps.

Check your manual for correct positioning. My Endeavor uses a firebrick baffle, with a total of four bricks sitting "on top of" the burn tubes.

Pagey said:
Check your manual for correct positioning. My Endeavor uses a firebrick baffle, with a total of four bricks sitting "on top of" the burn tubes.

no info in it

Mine also has bricks on top of the burn tubes, but they rest on top of some sort of asbestos like fiber board with a metal trim. They are flush to the back of the firebox to force the smoke over the air tubes toward the front and then up the flue.

I'd check the install manual and make sure it's set up as spec.

Edit - I just cruised thru the manual on line and it doesn't really show anything. It has the firebox brick layout but says nothing about bricks above the fire tubes? Nice step top unit. Looks good.

I would call US Stoves and ask for technical assistance: 1-800-750-2723

basswidow said:
Mine also has bricks on top of the burn tubes, but they rest on top of some sort of asbestos like fiber board with a metal trim. They are flush to the back of the firebox to force the smoke over the air tubes toward the front and then up the flue.

I'd check the install manual and make sure it's set up as spec.

Edit - I just cruised thru the manual on line and it doesn't really show anything. It has the firebox brick layout but says nothing about bricks above the fire tubes? Nice step top unit. Looks good.

I would call US Stoves and ask for technical assistance: 1-800-750-2723

i looked online and found that the smoke should go across the air holes then up the front of the baffle then over top it and then out the flue. this may be why i was not getting much secondary burns because the smoke was going straight out.

Yeah - the baffle helps force air across the tubes for secondary burn before looping over and up the flue.

Goofy that the manual doesn't have a cut away or show the manf spec on placement. Good luck

thank you. this would explain why my flue temp was so high without secondary burn. my fire was just going up and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.