Is this Okay???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
Well I didn't get much responses on a post concerning the crock That I needed to replace. So this is what I am doing.

I took out more than half of the old crock. I got Rutlands heat stop and made it nice and neat which I am going to join together with a seven inch crock. So far it looks good and people i spoke to said there will not be a proble.

What do you think????

If you did not read my post this is what it entailed. clay crock was to small fro 6 inch blcak stove pipe. I removed the half of the clay crock and will be joing it together with a neww seven inch crock.

are you talking about the clay thimble where the black pipe enters the chimney?

are you suggesting the removal of the outer most part of the thimble and replacing it with a larger thimble butting to a reduced (original) thimble.
Your plan could work as long as the inner thimble does not reduce the stack flow. Have you tried using a crimper to get the black pipe into existing thimble.
What is the inside dimension (id) of the existing thimble?

murry
a couple other thoughts..
how old is chimney?
is the chimney lined with flue tile?
what is the ID of tiles?
is the chimney inside or outside the house walls?
If no flue then you should consider adding stainless liner!
what is the appliance you're installing?
does the chimney flue have any other appliances installed?
a 6" round pipe is @ 28 cu inches.
a 6" x 6" id flue is 36 cu in.
things to consider....

Okay here are your answers....

Chimney 6 months, newly installed, constructed of masonry cement block

Flu liner 6x6 clays, not round

Chimney located outside

Apppliance wood stove, free standing harman TL 300

No other appliances are hooked up to the chimney

just replace the thimble and be done with it. it's not worth taking the chance of flue gas entering your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.