Is this pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cammee

Nov 13, 2008
northern indiana
I can't remember where we stacked the pine at and I don't want to burn it inside. Is this pine? Been sitting about 2 years now.

Attachments

• wood.JPG
    wood.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 476
I can't really tell from the picture, it's too small and far away. Why don't you want to burn it inside? Nothing wrong with burning pine as long as it's dry.
Pine does not cause chimney fires... wet unseasoned wood does!

Attachments

• shooting star.jpg
    shooting star.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 433
Sure not pine. Looks more like Poplar.

I agree with BB.

Does not look like any pine we have around here.
Pine that has seasoned for 2 years will not create creosote. Wet wood and not burning hot enough create it.

I'd guess birch

I refuse to identify it, on the grounds that you shouldn't be afraid to burn pine.

Thanks Guys, I was just told you shouldn't burn pine inside. But If you all say it's ok then I guess it is. I was out there trying to work on splitting it, little tough to get done though, maybe have to find some help with those bigger pieces. I did try a couple of splits on the fire and it seemed to burn ok, I prefer elm to anything else, but wood is wood and it's free.
Keep Smiling and cutting everyone......

You shouldn't be afraid to burn anything that's DRY. Those might not be all the way dry, even after 2 years. They need to be split to fully season. I split some 1 year seasoned soft maple rounds and had to wait another 5 months for them to be ready to burn. It'll burn much hotter and cleaner if it's truly dry.

Poplar/Aspen

cammee said:
Thanks Guys, I was just told you shouldn't burn pine inside. But If you all say it's ok then I guess it is. I was out there trying to work on splitting it, little tough to get done though, maybe have to find some help with those bigger pieces. I did try a couple of splits on the fire and it seemed to burn ok, I prefer elm to anything else, but wood is wood and it's free.
Poplar, and if you're having a tough time splitting it, you might try reading Poplar Mechanics. :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry.. :blank:

jpl1nh said:
cammee said:
Poplar, and if you're having a tough time splitting it, you might try reading Poplar Mechanics. :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry.. :blank:

THAT, was funny :lol:

Playing with some of the cut pine here... I think I like it :) Mixes well with the oak & maple, plus the "mystery wood" ;-)

Looks like pine to me so you better send it to me ASAP to avoid any mishaps. I live West of you and run a certified pine disposal unit. I am experienced in disposing of pine safely.

Even if it isn't pine I can take care of it for you. Consider your troubles with unidentified wood are over. ;-)

Doesn't look like pine to me but I'm no expert either.. I recently picked up a load of pine cut to length, Guy said it was cut last year from a white pine and a blue spruce. All nice and clean and dry cut to approx 13in lengths ranging from 3 to 12 inches diameter. Guy wanted it gone no charge I took it all for free, jammed as much as i could in my car for the short trip home. The stuff is gold in my opinion that no one wants in the northeast US because the roads are paved with hardwood as far as the eye can see. This stuff is great to mix in with the hardwood.. The best of both worlds as far as I am concerned.. I'm honestly thankful that I live in an area where i have easy access to pretty much everything from the hardest to the softest of species..

Status
Not open for further replies.