Is this really cherry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundgunner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2013
Rural CT
I cut this tree for the neighbor, was close to the power line between the road and his house. After it was on the ground he called it a cherry tree. I never saw it bloom or any cherries on it. It sure don't look like the twisted up, thick barked, cherry I got last year from another neighbor.

That bark looks enough like a Cherry that I had. I'd never seen cherries on most of mine, never seen blossoms on any, but when I took a piece and planed it, looked just like the plastic cherry wood finish. I've got dozens of Cherry trees at various stages of development, and no two look the same, except for the leaves.

TE

Its Black cherry, the fruit is pea sized and almost black colored. Its the native species of Cherry that is spoken of in the lumber industry. This is the fine Cherry wood that cabinets and fine furniture is constructed out of. Its one of the most valued hardwoods for its construction quality.
As a firewood it holds a lesser position for heat production but it has outstanding burn qualities. It is also a favored wood for smoking meats. One of my favorites for burning. It is Not a cultivated cherry, those trees originated in Asia and China along with pears and apple.
Cultivated cherries rarely gain any real girth to them. Making them rather undesirable as lumber trees.

As I recall the wild cherry blossoms aren't quite like the display that you see on ornamental yard plantings. You probably haven't noticed cherries as they are rather small, tend to be on the top of the tree and the birds will devour them rather quickly.

Reactions: Shawn Curry
Prunus serotina
The bark is often refered to in description as having a "burnt corn flakes" texture. Ive seen the characteristic bark on trees no bigger than 5-6" diameter. The bark is very distinctive and consistent.
The trees are rarely cultivated in yard lots because they drop limbs and the "berries" are very messy. They are generally an open field tree.
Also the leaves contain a compound that is derivative of cyanide. Making them poisonous to livestock. But...the fruit and the tree are sometimes referred to as Rum cherry.

Reactions: TreePointer
Yeap, medium heat, tons of ash.

Another vote for Black Cherry. Medium BTU/lb, but good coaling and very fragrant out the stack. I never worry what my neighbors think with a load of cherry in the firebox.

Yeah it is a solid player. I have not noticed an unusual amount of ash however.
Quick drying too. I always like burning cherry.

I have a lot of black cherry. The blossoms come in after the leaves are fully developed, and are barely noticeable. Same with the fruit - they're very tiny, almost all pit. I had a small one come down, felled by a massive concord grape vine. Made a nice little snack one day when I was cutting up some black locust back in the woods :)

Cherry - split some this monring. Around here I find poison ivy seems to love growing on cherry trees. Hard to find one that doesnt have PI on it.

As I recall the wild cherry blossoms aren't quite like the display that you see on ornamental yard plantings. You probably haven't noticed cherries as they are rather small, tend to be on the top of the tree and the birds will devour them rather quickly.
The Cherry trees in my neck of the woods have been dropping their fruit for the last 2 weeks . The cherries develop in the fall , unlike sweet cherry in early summer.

Looks just like the cherry I have here, and agreed with all above how wonderful it smells burning

Status
Not open for further replies.