Is this Safe to Burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
Started a pair of threads that are related to this but I wanted to get more opinions. Safety of family is the most important over all else and want to turn to the experts in regards to what's going on with my liner. It is a Chimney Liner Depot Flex King Pro and after three years it is starting to peel. My best guess is during the cleaning the poly brush is snagging on the inside of the liner and pulling it apart as I run the brush back up to the top.

When I disconnect the T and take a picture up the liner from the bottom this is what I'm looking at. IMG_7673.jpg

I have an email into CLD but at this point I'm under the assumption that this needs to get replaced. The question I have for you guys is the timing of the replacement. I have a cord of 4 yr CSS hardwood and 1/2 cord of 12 month CSS spruce. I would like to burn this through the stove and wait until the spring/summer to rip out and replace the liner. Would you guys burn wood with a liner that looks like this?

What is the chimney like that the liner is in?

I would say from the pics you could finish out the season but like i said before it is hard to tell just from pics.

What is the chimney like that the liner is in?

It's an exterior stone chimney with terracotta flue tiles. The whole thing was rebuilt in 2012.

I would have a camera run down it to see if you have any other issues, I would see if CLD would pay for that.

I would be impressed if CLD will pay for an inspection but will ask. I'm also fairly confident that there are no other issues. The poly brush runs smoothe up and down until you get into the last few feet were the bendy stuff is.

I would be impressed if CLD will pay for an inspection but will ask. I'm also fairly confident that there are no other issues. The poly brush runs smoothe up and down until you get into the last few feet were the bendy stuff is.
I dont know of any company which covers much if any labor on warantee work.

It's an exterior stone chimney with terracotta flue tiles. The whole thing was rebuilt in 2012.

I would burn in it then if there's been no chimney fire since the rebuild. I mean I burned in the terracotta flue that my liner is currently down for years before stuffing that liner down.

I would burn in it then if there's been no chimney fire since the rebuild. I mean I burned in the terracotta flue that my liner is currently down for years before stuffing that liner down.
Yes but now there is a liner in there. If that liner is compromised it possibly allow creosote out side that liner. and if you have a fire between those 2 liners it can be very bad and very hard to put out. I do not think that the liner in this case is compromised fully so i don't see a safety issue at this point but i would replace it at the end of the season.

Reactions: Squisher
Status
Not open for further replies.