Is this safe ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

My neighbor had a stove instullation last year that I helped him with. A couple of days ago he had a so called professional installer/sweep come out and do an inspection and cleaning. The inspector said all is well with the stove but the chimney is seriously filled with creosote ! That was a bald faced lie as I cleaned his chimney 3 times last year to help him out. When we looked it was very clean for this winter. Any how my neighbor decided to go ahead and have it done anyway. The sweep used what is called a chain flail !!! in a stainless liner it fell out of the drill and destroyed his stove baffles. I am positive you should never ever do that to any liner. Is this a common practice ? They wont refund him or pay damages. Any how here is a video of something similar. I was not home when they did this but from the description it looks like what the guy in the video is doing except he had a stainless liner.

Pete

Wouldn't want that thing in our stainless liner! My correctly sized polly brush does just fine. By the way, I always wear (after the first experience) a mask to keep the creosote powder out of the lungs too.

They won't pay for damages they caused? Doesn't sound very "professional" to me. !!! How much will replacement parts cost?

I would say that would be a bad idea on a S/S liner! The "sweep" should be responsible for the stove damage as he is to blame as the chain flail fell out of his drill plus a poly brush is what the S/S liner people recommend. I would think using chains would void his liner warranty! Most S/S liners are only .005" to .006" thick and the chains would beat them to death!

Ray

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Yes the installer refused to pay for the baffles and I suspect the liner is ruined too. My stove dealer is being fantastic and going to send there sweep out to do a free inspection today. Unfortunately it is there only source of heat and its a bit chilly today. I told them not to fire it up until it gets properly inspected because that whip looks like it could have ruined their liner by its design. We are going down to where he got the sweep after the proper inspection and I do believe my neighbor will prevail.

Pete

I would say that would be a bad idea on a S/S liner! The "sweep" should be responsible for the stove damage as he is to blame as the chain flail fell out of his drill plus a poly brush is what the S/S liner people recommend. I would think using chains would void his liner warranty! Most S/S liners are only .005" to .006" thick and the chains would beat them to death!

Ray

That's what I thought after helping install ! Looking at that flail it seems like it would have punched clean through a liner.

Pete

This could end up in court as this guy sounds like a fly by night operator so your friend could end up eating crow.. Sweeping chimneys is not rocket science and common sense should dictate procedure. I don't know what it takes to get CSIA credentials or if this guy even has any certifications but I do know that to become a licensed journeyman electrician in Mass. takes close to 5 years now. I could have gotten a bachelor's degree faster than my journeyman's license!

Ray

There is no way this guy has any credentials. You have to be careful with the chains, as they will damage clay liners if not used carefully. They should never be used in a liner!

If this guy won't pay up I would have him in small claims court as fast as I could!
Bring a sweep with you!

Well the good sweep is over to the neighbors house right now I am on my way over there.

Pete

Well that was fast! He climbed up climbed down and said it looks like it went through a paper shredder. Any advice on how to deal with the dingbats would be appreciated. They are licensed my neighbor got a copy of it before labor was done.

Pete

Reactions: raybonz

My neighbor had a stove instullation last year that I helped him with. A couple of days ago he had a so called professional installer/sweep come out and do an inspection and cleaning. The inspector said all is well with the stove but the chimney is seriously filled with creosote ! That was a bald faced lie as I cleaned his chimney 3 times last year to help him out. When we looked it was very clean for this winter. Any how my neighbor decided to go ahead and have it done anyway. The sweep used what is called a chain flail !!! in a stainless liner it fell out of the drill and destroyed his stove baffles. I am positive you should never ever do that to any liner. Is this a common practice ? They wont refund him or pay damages. Any how here is a video of something similar. I was not home when they did this but from the description it looks like what the guy in the video is doing except he had a stainless liner.

Pete

My liner says warranty VOID if you use a STEEL BRUSH!! let along a chain!!!

There is no way this guy has any credentials. You have to be careful with the chains, as they will damage clay liners if not used carefully. They should never be used in a liner!
That's what I was thinking, I don't thik I would even want those in a clay lined chimney!!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Well that was fast! He climbed up climbed down and said it looks like it went through a paper shredder. Any advice on how to deal with the dingbats would be appreciated. They are licensed my neighbor got a copy of it before labor was done.

Pete
I would get statements from that guy on paper and would hope he would go to small claims with me if need be.
Why would the first guy even run that chain deal in a liner..he had to know better!
Get plenty of pics of all the damage that he can.
He needs prices of the liner and parts to the stove that need replaced.

Matter of fact since he can not burn the way things are he needs to get it done now...no furnace I think you said.
He will have those receipts.
I would give the guy who messed it all up one more chance to make things right and if not tell him you will see him in court.
Good luck to him,but he should be fine.

Isn't something similar used to bust out a clay liner?

Amazing.

I'd get an estimate from a certified sweep/installer of the cost of repairs and or replacement. I'd send a copy to the operator registered mail. Asking requesting an offer for remedy. In the letter, give them a 10 working days to reply. Also, in the letter inform them if they don't reply or satisfactorily make good, you will take actions in small claims court. This process can be overwhelming but in reality, it's not that hard to do. In Delaware, it costs $45 dollars to file an action. The important thing to do is make sure all of your ducks are in order and the t's are crossed and the i's dotted.

Reactions: Dune and raybonz
Isn't something similar used to bust out a clay liner?

Amazing.
No, this tool is used to remove glazed creosote. But repeated use can damage the clay liners. If a customer needs to have chains used and is unwilling to fix the problem causing the glazed creosote build up, He must be fired!::-)

Reactions: raybonz
those
csl I though removed the glaze to then sweep? maybe this is there place

CSL is to help break down the glaze, it's done over time. Sweeps need to remove the glaze while they are there and the chains are the ticket.

To be honest, I wouldn't want this man back at my home. If this is a reputable company, and they are willing to send a different sweep out to do the repair work, then I'd be ok so long as I was there hovering over them.

This is just plain terrible and unnecessary.

pen

I'm just hoping Pete and his friend don't end up getting arrested when they visit the business. Cuz, I know I'd have a hard time keeping calm after something like this.

Reactions: pen
I'm just hoping Pete and his friend don't end up getting arrested when they visit the business. Cuz, I know I'd have a hard time keeping calm after something like this.
Shocked to hear that lol.. PITBULL!! :)

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.