Is this Sassafras or not??? Tree I.D. Please..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on that article, Sassafras is classified as a Hardwood. Do you think it would be best used as kindling or for regular burning? Thanks :)

Kindling, shoulder season or mix with your primary higher quality hardwoods. Its a lower BTU rated hardwood.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
Bark kind of looks like Sassy but that one picture of the grain shows almost pure white grain, not orangish-brown like Sass has. I don't know what it is....

Reactions: nrford
Looks like Cottonwood to me!

The base of the tree was too big for me to wrap my arms around. Awfully big cottonwood. That would explain the difficulty in splitting it. :)
I have seen cottonwood 5' DBH. never have I seen a Sass over about 24"DBH, not saying it is not possible for Sass to get large, but I have seen lots of large Cottonwood. Besides it looks like every cottonwood I've ever sawn or seen sawn.

Last edited:
I agree with the cottonwood, I have lived on three acres for 20 years with lots of black locust and sassafras and your wood is not either of those.

You should see some of the cottonwoods growing along my creek bottom land. Giants they are. Yeah, they get big, really big.

That last big piece with the deep furrows has the tell tale ash pin hole in the middle. Looking closely, it looks like ash.
Without a rootbeer smell when cutting or splitting it's not sassafras.

There is no way that is an ash.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Based on that article, Sassafras is classified as a Hardwood. Do you think it would be best used as kindling or for regular burning? Thanks :)

Not regarding that article at all, but any tree that will drop its leaf is technically a hardwood.

This beast is a cottonwood. And I agree, what you have could possibly be cottonwood. If so, it will be super heavy when cut and super light in a year.
Cottonwood-Judy.JPG Cottonwood-Judy-2.JPG

Last edited:
I am on board w Cotton wood based on bark and size but I have never cut any so take that w a grain o salt. Sass would definitely smell good and you can always taste it seriously. Sass will taste minty and good - cotton wood will likely be bitter or almost tasteless.

I am on board w Cotton wood based on bark and size but I have never cut any so take that w a grain o salt.
Yep, I've seen the bark but it never goes any further than that. ;lol

Never saw cottonwood. Is it in your area?

I think thats definitely cottonwood

Theres some BIG cottonwoods around here

Sassafras has like a cork in the heartwood.

I think it is Cottonwood. It is not Black Locust, Honey Locust, or Chestnut Oak. I don't think Sassafras either.

Unfortunately you have cottonwood and not BL or any other hardwood for that matter. I burn pine so I'd burn the cottonwood if I got it free.

EasternCottonwoodBark.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.