Is this splitter worth $1500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate splitting vertical. Log lifter is the cat's @$$.
I"m with ya on that!:)

I may be new to burning wood for heat but not to physical labor. And even though I never used a vertical splitter IMO and only IMO THEY look like back breakers. I watched a few you tube videos of guys that were practically crawling on the ground. IF I were to get a vertical splitter, I already thought how I would build a large base to fit around the little base on the splitter so really big rounds can sit completely even and not want to fall off.

But being that i have allready been pampered by using a relatively new TW-5 with a log lifter and out feed table I'm finding it hard to get anything else. I had some rounds close to 30" in diameter by 24" long and the hydraulic log lifter picks it up with ease and the I-Beam has two wings that cradle it and then when it splits the out feed table holds the two halves. Man it is so easy. Even easier when I used the 4 way or 6 way wedge.

I will say that I wish the whole splitter sat a few inches higher because I still had to bend a little but I already have engineered ( in my mind) how to raise the unit and build a little ramp up to the log lifter to make up for the height difference.

Ok back to what this thing might be worth. (other than a pile of scrap metal) <>

Hmmm... I am going to buck the system here. It would take a couple of hours with a welder and an angle head grinder to get that beam into reasonable shape. The shoe could be fixed in pretty short order and I really don't see any other places that are a deal breaker. A few drips and oily areas - probably not a big deal for a piece of equipment that has been in production for years.

As long as the beam ain't bent, the ram ain't bent, the motor runs, the pump - pumps, and the valves work as advertised - that thing probably will not be as scary as the pics make it out to be.

That said - I ain't spending $1500 on ANY splitter unless it comes with the monkey to run it. If you could get that for a grand, put a little TLC into it, I would bet you could be running a pretty darn sweet machine in short order.

Grab a couple of more pics of anything that is questionable. Look at the hoses (I think the TW5 uses pretty high rated hoses.) There is no cover for the pump mount that I have ever seen.

Note: It appears that the person who attempted a fix for the slide on the shoe was not real into physics and welding. A top weld "only" on that shoe was sure to fail. It should have had a deep penetrating weld on the bottom part too, then ground out to fit the beam. It would have doubled the strength of the slides.

I tend to be a system bucker too ;) hence why I started burning wood and not buying oil.

I'm thinking the same thing, offer him 800 and settle on a grand.

I have to frame a house in a few weeks where I am suppling the steel and my steel guy is getting $45,000 for the job, I'm sure he could do a little welding for me;)

If you know how to weld, troubleshoot hydraulic systems, and/or do small engine repair, this may be a not bad deal. If you have to pay someone to do any of those things you could get upside down on it in a hurry.

I'm a firm believer in (for some things in life, that is) that it is better to have an not need than to need and not have. With that being siad, this is probably overkill for yhe average woodburner making firewood.

If you know how to weld, troubleshoot hydraulic systems, and/or do small engine repair, this may be a not bad deal. If you have to pay someone to do any of those things you could get upside down on it in a hurry.

I'm a firm believer in (for some things in life, that is) that it is better to have an not need than to need and not have. With that being siad, this is probably overkill for yhe average woodburner making firewood.

Oh then you dont know me very well... I am far from average;) hence the name "infinity" mike I take everything to the max.Thats why I loved the six million dollar man. We have the technology to build it better, stronger, faster :cool:

Oh then you dont know me very well... I am far from average;) hence the name "infinity" mike I take everything to the max.Thats why I loved the six million dollar man. We have the technology to build it better, stronger, faster :cool:

Then we definitely have to do something about that MS311 in your sig. ;):p

Then we definitely have to do something about that MS311 in your sig. ;):p
All right then, lets build it better, stronger and faster! Or I could just buy a MS-880, that would do the trick

I've not used enough log splitters to give any direct advice, but I do own a lot of antique large industrial woodworking equipment, and so I'm all too familiar with the cost of replacement parts of industrial use machines versus those of a smaller commercial or homeowner-grade machine. Take note of the cost of the valving and those highly-rated hoses on a machine like this, if you suspect you'll be replacing them at some point during your ownership. It may be more a factor than you would suspect, in the overall cost of getting this machine up and running.

Reactions: Realstone
At a grand, I would jump at that machine. Fix up, clean up and use it. If you find that it is crazy overkill, flip it and make some coin. Heck, a good cleaning and a new coat of paint (after your repairs) would make that a machine worth drooling over.

At a grand, I would jump at that machine. Fix up, clean up and use it. If you find that it is crazy overkill, flip it and make some coin. Heck, a good cleaning and a new coat of paint (after your repairs) would make that a machine worth drooling over.
Good point Jags. A lot of the problem with that machine is that it is just butt ugly. Put some lipstick on it and flip her.

Well heres some more info. The engine and pump have been replaced a few years ago. And I took it for $1000!!!

I'll be sure to post some pictures after I get her all prettied up with her lipstick and eyeliner on;)

Some TLC & you'll have a great splitter.
33% off is good negotiating ;)

Great deal considering the pump and engine have been replaced. Looks like a few of the hoses were replaced at the same time.

Post some pics when it is cleaned up.

While a new Timberwolf would be a dream, that thing looks like a nightmare. No way would I spend $1500.00 on it.

Great deal considering the pump and engine have been replaced. Looks like a few of the hoses were replaced at the same time.

Post some pics when it is cleaned up.

There is one very recently changed hose and the others are in very good shape. No dry rot or cracking.

I'm looking past the rust and dirt and looking at the indivual parts and they all look solid. Well, except for the push block of course but I don't see that as a major fix.
I know there's a lot of greasy residue but after a good degreasing and power washing I'll be able to see where that's coming from. Most importantly the seals around the push ram are clean and dry as well as around the engine and pump.

Now yer talkin'. Give it a good cleaning and maybe even a coat of paint. Get the shuttle fixed up and show these negative Nancy's what its all about.>>

I would put in some time and effort on the beam. Get the sides of the top edges back to true and straight. That is probably one of the reasons the previous owner was having trouble keeping the legs on that shuttle. With that design undo pressure can be applied to the shuttle if it is not pushing straight and with proper clearances. Like I said - a couple of hours with a welder and a grinder and a straight edge and that could be brought back into specs pretty darn easy.

Well heres some more info. The engine and pump have been replaced a few years ago. And I took it for $1000!!!

I'll be sure to post some pictures after I get her all prettied up with her lipstick and eyeliner on;)
I'd rather buy it in the condition you did, instead of after the lipstick and eye liner had been applied.

Now yer talkin'. Give it a good cleaning and maybe even a coat of paint. Get the shuttle fixed up and show these negative Nancy's what its all about.>>

I would put in some time and effort on the beam. Get the sides of the top edges back to true and straight. That is probably one of the reasons the previous owner was having trouble keeping the legs on that shuttle. With that design undo pressure can be applied to the shuttle if it is not pushing straight and with proper clearances. Like I said - a couple of hours with a welder and a grinder and a straight edge and that could be brought back into specs pretty darn easy.
I wanna see the receipts when he's done. !!!;)

If he has to pay a welding shop hourly rates, it could add up. If I didn't already have one, I would be looking in the classifieds for a used Lincoln "tombstone" welder. You can pick them up pretty darn cheap and there are a million out there. A box of 6013 rod and get to working. Easy peasy.

Here is one in his area:
http://longisland.craigslist.org/tls/3028418456.html
and another:
http://longisland.craigslist.org/tls/3011440028.html
and another: (you get the idea;))
http://longisland.craigslist.org/tls/3038251198.html

So the deal got sweeter. My good friend, who is a fellow burner, and I are splitting the splitter. $500 each plus half of any repairs. He lives a half mile from me. And no I don't have any fear that we would get in a fight and then be argueing about ownership.

As far as paying a welder, like said earlier I am framing a 9000 sq ft house and have to supply the steel. My steel guy is getting $45,000 for the job. I'm sure he can pass a couple beads for nothing.

And if he won't then I have 3 other steel/welding shops that have supplied steel to the builders for the houses I framed.
That's the good thing about being a framing sub-contractor, I know 3-4 companies for every trade out there.

Reactions: Realstone
Its always good to have friends (or contractors) with skilz.;)

Especially when they have the skilz I don't:p

Hey thanks for the CL links. I've always wanted a welder. When I converted my garage into a boiler room I ran 220 just in case ;)

Mike, In looking over the pics again, I noticed we haven't seen a pic of the entire unit. Please post. Good luck.

Mike, In looking over the pics again, I noticed we haven't seen a pic of the entire unit. Please post. Good luck.
I'm picking it up Saturday and will post before and after pics for sure.

You guys are generous. I'd pay about $400 for it......

What happened Mike? Pictures, did it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.