Is this splitter worth $1500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened Mike? Pictures, did it happen?

It did happen. And I have pictures. I will post soon.

Picked it up Saturday at 9am went to welder got home and was splitting by 1pm.
What a beast.

I did not do anything to the I-beam. The pictures made it look worse then it really is. It is straight and flat. It is thinner and worn down compared the rest of the beam. I disconnected the push block from the ram and I cut the angle iron beam clamp off.
I then beveled the bottom of the push block with a cutting torch, so the weld would be flush to the bottom.

I welded a plate to the side of the block and got a bead on the top and the bottom.
I cut the angle iron to fit inside the plate and up against the beam.
I bolted a nylon wear pad to it and then bolted that to the plate. The wear pad is nice and snug to the beam and the whole assembly moves nice and smooth.

I power washed it and started splitting.

There is a leak from the back of the valve body on only one handle, for the ram return. Prince makes the valves and there is a dealer very close to me. I will buy an o-ring kit and hopefully that will do the trick.<>

There is a 1/4 turn ball valve that is hard piped to the tank then has a hose and clamp that comes off it. That has a leak also. I don't know if that should be a compressed fitting that threads on. I have to look at it a little more. My friend has it and is splitting right now.

here are a few pics

I'll be happy to post a video too==c

photo1oj.jpg

photo2zdm.jpg

photo3cy.jpg

photo4lpy.jpg

photo5yi.jpg

My friend just emailed this pic of the wood he is splitting with it. In the back ground you can see his old home made horizontal splitter under the orange cover. Anyone want it? He's tired of lifting and thats why we partnered up on this one with the log lifter.
photovm.jpg

I'm glad I'm a system bucker like you Jags. This machine will last me a long time.

Reactions: Jags
Looks like you've done well. Good job.

Looks like you've done well. Good job.
Thanks. $1000 for the splitter $100 for the welder. $22 for bolts and drill bit. Split in half I'm in for $562 so far.
I need to top off the hydraulic fluid. That $90 for 5 gallons. $607 each.

I'm glad I'm a system bucker like you Jags. This machine will last me a long time.

Sometimes ya just gotta look at the beauty that is deeper within.;)

Hey - its just metal, motor, pumps, hoses and seals. Ain't none of it that can't be "fixed".

After you get enough wood pushed over it to shine up the push plate, beam and wedge - and now that you have it power washed, you will need to get a glamor shot of it.:cool:

Does it also have an adjustable hydraulic 4 way wedge?

There is a 1/4 turn ball valve that is hard piped to the tank then has a hose and clamp that comes off it. That has a leak also. I don't know if that should be a compressed fitting that threads on. I have to look at it a little more. My friend has it and is splitting.
IMG]

That's the suction or return line. It's not under pressure, should be able to just tighten the hose clamp

Looks a lot better cleaned up, slap some paint on once your done with the small repairs and it'll look like a million bucks.

Thanks. $1000 for the splitter $100 for the welder. $22 for bolts and drill bit. Split in half I'm in for $562 so far.
I need to top off the hydraulic fluid. That $90 for 5 gallons. $607 each.

Whoa! That's pricey oil there pardner. Travellers (TSC) hyd oil was running about $40-45 a pail last time I checked. I don't even pay $90 for 5 gallon pails of John Deere Hyguard. Think that was running $75-80 a pail.

Whoa! That's pricey oil there pardner. Travellers (TSC) hyd oil was running about $40-45 a pail last time I checked. I don't even pay $90 for 5 gallon pails of John Deere Hyguard. Think that was running $75-80 a pail.

Welcome to Long Island! Unfortunately TSC wont ship that and the closet one to me is 90 miles.

I haven't bought any yet and have to surf the web

Made a call to an excavator I've know for and he is going to give me 10 gallons of hydraulic oil for $50

Was peeking around the machine a little more and found out that the pump was made in '09, the valves for the ram were made in '08, the valves for the log lift and 4 way wedge lift were made in '03, I cant really tell from the #'s but the engine might be from '01, don't see anything for the ram piston and it looks like the unit was originally made in '88 based on the #'s stamped on top of the splitting wedge

In pic 5, what type of wood? how big a round was it? It looks like a tough round to split, but how did you new machine handle it?

In pic 5, what type of wood? how big a round was it? It looks like a tough round to split, but how did you new machine handle it?
It was maple. all my rounds are 24" long. This one was close to 24" in diameter. It pushed right through it with no problem.

I was splitting for a litttle while tonight. Cherry and locust, big stuff, somewhere around 20-22" in diameter and again didn't even flinch..

One thing I NEED to buy is a muffler. This one is shot. Even with ear protection the thing is screamin loud. It is missing the heat shroud and exhaust blows out of the holes for the shroud screws. One hole blows right at me and is hot. I saw one on ebay for $30. I called my tool supplier/repair shop and he said he has one from a busted engine that he will give me:)

Reactions: Realstone
Status
Not open for further replies.