Is this stove safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the questions are "what epa standards are they talking about? and who tested to that standard, if it meets standards , why do they not give testing agency and ansi code they meet on a data plate affixed to the unit?

stoveguy2esw said:
i think the questions are "what epa standards are they talking about? and who tested to that standard, if it meets standards , why do they not give testing agency and ansi code they meet on a data plate affixed to the unit?

Ya have to dig a little but you find out that it meets the EPA standard for "exempt" because it is a 35-1 air to fuel ratio stove. Very little intake air control on stoves that meet that "standard". In other words it burns so damned hot that it probably doesn't pollute much. Ya just can't control the thing except by feeding it really slowly, a little bit at a time.

The way I understand it stoves in that classification can't be choked down below 35-1 air fuel ratio. I believe your 12-F series is in that catagory isn't it?

yes BB our 12-fp series is epa exempt , to my knowledge it is the only epa exempt 35-1 on the market which has an integral draft control built into the stove itself (doesnt need a butterfly in the flue to control it) but it has been through the lab at warnock hersey and has been safety tested to UL standards. it has the standards it was tested to posted on the data tag. does the VZ have this tag affixed? i honestly havent looked in my opinion it should have to have these tests done before it is sold. im just being curious.

mike esw

stoveguy2esw said:
yes BB our 12-fp series is epa exempt , to my knowledge it is the only epa exempt 35-1 on the market which has an integral draft control built into the stove itself (doesnt need a butterfly in the flue to control it) but it has been through the lab at warnock hersey and has been safety tested to UL standards. it has the standards it was tested to posted on the data tag. does the VZ have this tag affixed? i honestly havent looked in my opinion it should have to have these tests done before it is sold. im just being curious.

mike esw

I hear ya Mike. I wasn't questioning your stove and I agree that all stoves should be tested against UL standards. I can't believe in this day and age they aren't, but some are out there. It just looked like you were questioning the lack of EPA certification, not testing for UL compliance.

In fact I think that all wood burning appliances should have to be EPA certified. If that were the case a 28-3500 would be sitting in my basement right now helping out its brother upstairs.

yeah, i agree BB my biggest concern is safety,but i believe stoves should be able to meet clean air statutes too personally, i believe also that that will eventually be a reality. my biggest irk these days as far as clean burning units is the outdoor furnace thing. i drove past one back in 2004 coming back from boston, guy had this thing sitting out in his yard with a short stack on it , looked like the beginning scene from petticoat junction. i mean gawd! it looked like he was burning tires in it! those things cant all burn like that can they? i see posts about them where peeps say , only get one if you hate your neighbors, i believe it after seeing that thing. anyway , im pontificating , no offense taken on the 12 fp its actually a pretty clean burning unit for a 35-1. we designed it to be exempt from the jump so it didnt get a pm rating. wouldnt mind knowing how it would have done though , i'll have to ask the lab monkeys when i pop in on them next , if i find out i'll let ya know.

mike esw

Status
Not open for further replies.