Is this stove sufficient? - LINK NOT WORKING - Morsø 7642

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
We're NOT trying to heat totally with wood. I think that would be tough for us, doable, but tough. We want to run the oil burner as minimally as possible. We've got a Jotul 118 downstairs and we'll be insulating the basement (walkout) and the attic all summer long until we're sealed a little better - a lot better.

We're looking at this: http://www.morsona.com/index.php/contemporary-morso-stove/morso-7642.html

Morsø 7642 is the stove model.

Rated to heat roughly 1200 sq. ft. My entire house is 1650 upstairs, which is the portion I've included here. My main goal is to keep the family room, dining room and kitchen warm. This is where we spend a majority of our time and we typically only sleep in the bedrooms. It would be nice if some of that heat moved into bathroom 1. Our idea is to remove the wall in Red and place this stove where the Green circle is.

Our basement is under the entire house except bedroom 3. Once properly insulated, I think we'll see some gains down there, but in the future we may opt for a newer, cleaner, more efficient, LARGER stove down there. One that is rated to heat at least 2000 sq. ft. Then we can burn small hot fires and have the option to really crank it up.

I guess the question is, do you think this is sufficient to do what we want? I know it only takes 11" logs, but I'm already planning for that and I think I may cut some small in the next week to begin preparing. We are not looking for overnight burns, I'd like to just run the oil during the nights. That would give us 8 hours, roughly, of oil time (or heat pump if I can afford to change over this year).

Any suggestions, thoughts, feelings? Thanks for any help and comments.

(PIC NOT TO SCALE)

Attachments

• roughHouse.jpeg
    roughHouse.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 336
downstairs stove is in green - possible larger stove may be moved to the other side to help with bedrooms?

Attachments

• roughHouse.jpeg
    roughHouse.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 333
I would go larger than that stove. I would go with something a bit larger to allow you some flexibility and longer burn times. Even if you aren't trying to heat with only wood, having to reload the stove every 2 hours become really begins to grind on you as winter progresses. If you are looking for a contemporary stove, that will be tough as most have small fireboxes. Otherwise a Woodstock Keystone would work.

BrowningBAR said:
I would go larger than that stove. I would go with something a bit larger to allow you some flexibility and longer burn times. Even if you aren't trying to heat with only wood, having to reload the stove every 2 hours become really begins to grind on you as winter progresses. If you are looking for a contemporary stove, that will be tough as most have small fireboxes. Otherwise a Woodstock Keystone would work.

Do you think, other than the short burn times, that the stove in question would heat the 'relatively' open area as pictured? It's hard to get my wife to pick anything that doesn't look contemporary - why no larger fireboxes on those newer contemporary stoves?

brianbeech said:
BrowningBAR said:

Do you think, other than the short burn times, that the stove in question would heat the 'relatively' open area as pictured? It's hard to get my wife to pick anything that doesn't look contemporary - why no larger fireboxes on those newer contemporary stoves?

It's hard to say if it will heat well as it depends upon how tight your home is and what type of warmth you are looking for. I believe the poster "Wendell" owns the Morso 3450 and likes it's performance.

I commented on the reload time as this will be two stoves you are running. As an owner of three stoves, I can tell you from experience how valuable longer reload times are as winter rolls on.

The other in this thread have highlighted two other stoves that might meet your needs and provide a larger firebox.

Rated to heat roughly 1200 sq. ft, that is max not min.
If I were you I would go with a bigger stove, that PE one mentioned looks like a good one.

When I first started burning wood I went with small as I wanted to just supplement my main heat.
So I went with a small Drolet stove. This was able to warm the basement into the upper 60's low 70's when running on high.
2K house, about 1K down and 1K up. This stove was a big pain in the backside, I was constantly running downstairs loading it up.
No where near an overnight burning stove. If you go larger you still do not have to go 24-7 and heat your entire house with it.
But:
Ask yourself the following: Do I want to load the stove every 2-3 hours and run it on high in order for it to do what I want? Or do I want to load it every 8-10 hours run it on low and have something that if you ran it on med you would be able to heat your house if the power goes out.

That is the biggest thing for me, since I live in the country if the power goes out I have heat and will not freeze even if it is -40 °F

From your drawing it looks like you would put the stove in a bedroom.
This is not allowed, as a wood stoves are not allowed in sleeping areas.

MishMouse said:

That diagram shows the location of the stove in in the basement and how it relates to the main floor of the house... I think.

BrowningBAR said:
MishMouse said:

That diagram shows the location of the stove in in the basement and how it relates to the main floor of the house... I think.

I was assuming that what he meant also, but needed to make sure. :p

BrowningBAR said:
MishMouse said:

You are correct, in relation to the first floor. Sorry it wasn't clear.

Go for a larger stove with greater capacity. I would put in something around 2 cu ft and use a fan in the hallway for the bedrooms. Fan should be at the far end of the hallway blowing toward the stove area. Put a small stove in the basement and use it as an area heater for that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.