Is this stove worth installing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary502

Nov 27, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
hey guys, just scored a wood stove for free. Not sure how old it is or have any real info on it. I'm looking to install a reliable wood stove in the basement/game room of my ranch style home that I don't have to worry about containing a fire/burning my house down if left unattended. Is this stove worth installing?

Attachments

• IMG_6951.JPG
    IMG_6951.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 227
I'd look beyond the free stove and focus on the chimney. If safe, the stove will heat, but. Your chimney, being larger than 6", will give you fewer choices on your next stove. You may want to pass on this free deal, as the chimney will be more expensive too.

So you're saying because the outlet of this stove is larger than 6" it could cause problems down the road for me? Right now there is no chimney installed at all and I will need to order all the pieces to run it through the exterior wall and up the side of the house.

Ask your insurance company. Does it have a UL label on the back?

That's an old Squire. Member @mellow used to rehab them and should be able to provide installation details.

That is good that it comes with the rectangle to round 8" boot. In order to use that stove you will really need to install 8" pipe which is more expensive than 6", which is what newer stoves use.

Those things are built like a tank, see if it has the baffle installed in it and test the fans, if they do not run they are installed in a tray below the fireplace and can be pulled out and serviced. Beyond that make sure it doesn't have any cracks in the glass and in the steel.

If you already don't have the pipe I would look for a newer stove so you can install 6" pipe, that alone will offset the costs of the "free" stove.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.