Is this the right way? calculating a cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
If a split is 18 inches it would equal 1.5? So 1.5*4.5*10=67.5?
It's say half a cord but doesn't look like it.... Eyes must be going bad

yep, little better than half a cord.

Ding ding ding !!!!!!! We have a winner.

Shawn

Yup. Assuming that your 10 means 10 feet. It is actually .527% of a cord.

Ok, Iceman how many cords of that mean Black Locust you got? :cheese:

Cascade Failure said:
Are we talking cords, face cords, chords or dictionary cords?

Actually, you and Sav both have your math right.

:lol:

iceman said:

In intro-level chemistry and physics, you'd learn that the above is meaningless- no units specified, just numbers. So, it's true, but meaningless.

OTOH, 1.5 feet x 4.5 feet x 10 feet = 67.5 cu. ft. which can be compared to 128 cu. ft.

Similarly, 18 inches = 1.5 feet, as opposed to the original wtf.

CTYank said:
iceman said:

In intro-level chemistry and physics, you'd learn that the above is meaningless- no units specified, just numbers. So, it's true, but meaningless.

Smart Ass !!!!

cord was specified.
for which there is both a definition and a formulae.

units could be minimally inferred

I have been using the formula for years but stacking tight 5*10*12 area does always work to almost 5 cords ... I found to be more accurate needed to measure by rows not by space. Looking at my row it it just didn't look like half a cord but the numbers don't lie...

However I think my locust drop is more than 2 cords gonna say 2.5-3!

iceman said:
I have been using the formula for years but stacking tight 5*10*12 area does always work to almost 5 cords ... I found to be more accurate needed to measure by rows not by space. Looking at my row it it just didn't look like half a cord but the numbers don't lie...

However I think my locust drop is more than 2 cords gonna say 2.5-3!

Awesome!

CTYank said:
as opposed to the original wtf.
WTF...that's Wood Total Footage? :lol:

shawneyboy said:
CTYank said:
iceman said:

Smart Ass !!!!

Quite the contrary. But unless there's some effort for truth and rigor, it all degenerates into a mush of truthiness.

Just the facts, please, ma'am. (Joe Friday)

Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis, you need to either drop that % sign or move your decimal point two places to the right. :) Rick

[quote author="CTYank" date="1308347885"]

In intro-level number theory we learned that none of those numbers are either irrational, transcendental, imaginary, or prime numbers, so for us the numbers themselves would be meaningless.... OK, maybe just very uninteresting. %-P

fossil said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis, you need to either drop that % sign or move your decimal point two places to the right. :) Rick

:lol: Danged if I didn't get caught again. Some day I may learn to proof read before posting.... Thanks Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.