is this the same electric saw ? dolmar es-171 vs. makita uc-4000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Precaud, the only reservation I have is that my chaps (per the label on box) say they are not rated to stop an electric saw b/c of the torque, . . . should I be concerned (I'm no safety expert that's for sure), maybe I should click around a little here and other sites

Thanks

Chuchie, I'm no safety expert either so I can't comment on that. No question, my UC4000 does cut differently than my Dolmar gas saws do; it's a lower chain speed event and your cutting habits will adjust accordingly. But I don't consider either less safe than the other. Both will require your complete attention, as I'm sure you appreciate...

I copied out below from http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/protect_pants.html. Yikes, and I thought the 4 hp electric I've been running was safer (from an equipment standpoint, not operator) than gas.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
These protective garments contain pads of cut-retardant material designed to reduce the risk or severity of injury to the body parts covered by the pads in the event of contact with a rotating chain. The fibers in the pads provide extra layers of material and are designed to rip apart if they come into contact with the moving chain and to clog the sprocket and stop the chain in certain circumstances. In some contacts, the pads may stop the chain. In other contacts, the pads will resist the cutting process only for a fraction of a second. The actual degree of protection afforded will vary with the speed of the chain at the time of contact, the power and torque of the saw, the design of the chain saw sprocket and similar factors. Follow the washing instructions. Improper care may destroy cut-retardant properties of the material.

WARNING FOR ELECTRIC CHAIN SAW USERS!
The fibers will not stop the sprocket on most electric chain saws because of their constant high torque.

churchie said:
I copied out below from http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/protect_pants.html. Yikes, and I thought the 4 hp electric I've been running was safer (from an equipment standpoint, not operator) than gas.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
These protective garments contain pads of cut-retardant material designed to reduce the risk or severity of injury to the body parts covered by the pads in the event of contact with a rotating chain. The fibers in the pads provide extra layers of material and are designed to rip apart if they come into contact with the moving chain and to clog the sprocket and stop the chain in certain circumstances. In some contacts, the pads may stop the chain. In other contacts, the pads will resist the cutting process only for a fraction of a second. The actual degree of protection afforded will vary with the speed of the chain at the time of contact, the power and torque of the saw, the design of the chain saw sprocket and similar factors. Follow the washing instructions. Improper care may destroy cut-retardant properties of the material.

WARNING FOR ELECTRIC CHAIN SAW USERS!
The fibers will not stop the sprocket on most electric chain saws because of their constant high torque.

One gets in trouble when comparing HP numbers between gas and electric, but 4HP in a gas saw is in the 50-60cc neighborhood, which is a medium-large saw... However a gas engine tends to only put out maximum power near its peak RPM range, and this is particularly true the way most gas saws are tuned. You also have a centrifugal clutch that will disengage the chain drive as soon as the motor slows down. Further since I think they assume the saw user will be letting go of the trigger quickly once they realize they've done an ouchie... The chaps only have to really slow the chain down for a little bit of time.

OTOH, an electric motor tends to have a high torque at slow RPM's, and there is no clutch on an electric saw, and more momentum of moving parts to keep the chain moving even after you let go of the trigger - thus the saw chain wants to keep moving more, and chaps have a lot more work to do in order to stop it... I frankly don't think electric saws are as safe as gas ones, and that's saying something.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.