Is this Thimble Safe? (Need a Mason's Help)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I found when I opened up this space.

The studs were removed, a header put in place, the brick seen here expanded and all combustibles removed and replaced with cement board.

thimble002.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the facade in place.

It is still very dark here as it was still wet from being wiped down.

It is drying nicely today.

I have learned that I could never make a living as a mason without learning to somehow speed my slow pace up! However, I am pleased with my not so perfect results aesthetically. But, the appearance was truly second to the safety aspect.

In hindsight, I wouldn't have done a double layer of brick but would have expanded the thimble as I did behind the facade, added cement board to the front, then tiled that (would have been much faster). But doing it this way I learned a new skill!

thimble006.jpg

Pen that looks good. You mention using cement board, are you talking about Durock or what? Is that cement board also 12 inches from the thimble? Sounds like you are ok as long as your cement board is totally non-flammable, no exterior paper layer on it or anything.

Your brick work is much better than I could ever do :)

Look, I'm no mason so I can't say how long to wait 'til you fire the thing up, maybe somebody on here will chime in, cuz I know your itchin' to get it goin' for sure.

Oh, you gotta post pics of stove in action when you finally get it burning too, haha!!!

yes, the cement board i used is Hardibacker and and listed as being:

NFPA Ratings (Scale 0-4): health=2, flammability=0, reactivity=0, personal protection=E.

James Hardie® fiber-cement products are neither flammable nor explosive.
Fire and Explosion Hazard: 1. Flash Point: Not applicable.
2. Auto-ignition: Not applicable.
3. Non-flammable and non-explosive.
Extinguishing Media: This material is not combustible.

As I love pics there certainly will be a few of when I fire it up. I might even treat myself for an evening by taking the doors off and using the fire-place grill! (you guys with glass doors have it all).

Thanks again for your help.

pen

pen it sounds like you're definitely good to go. You done a real nice job. When ya gonna fire that big ole hunk of iron up anyway? Did ya decide? Downright cold here outside Gettysburg, supposed to get down to 10 or 12 tonight, that's cold for these parts, especially this time of year.

Well, the mortar was still damp on the surface in places but was all hard enough that I could not press a nail into it anywhere, so I decided that with a low of 6 degrees with 16-24mph winds, that the stove needed to be burning! It is drying nicely now and evening out as it should.

Yea, this is a bit cold for Pa this time of year. My hope is that if it is going to be cold, that it stay that way so I can be ice fishing by christmas. Been about 5 years since I've been able to fish in december. Usually I need to wait until Jan.

thimble008.jpg

pen

Where did the old kodiak go? I have fond memories of those old stoves, my grandparents still burn one today...

Jason

jtb51b said:
Where did the old kodiak go? I have fond memories of those old stoves, my grandparents still burn one today...

Jason

Hey, here's what pen said he was gonna do...."I might even treat myself for an evening by taking the doors off and using the fire-place grill! (you guys with glass doors have it all)."

It's an old fisher, looks dang good sittin' there, and when he takes the doors off the view is awesome ain't it???

wooohooo!

Wow, I wonder if you could fab up some glass doors? I bet a resourcefull fella could do it.. Really looks nice, bad as it sounds I would probably trade my epa buck for an old Kodiak just to "have what grampa has".. Oh well, had no luck finding one before, bet I wont now.. Truthfully I would love to have this buck upstairs and a Kodiak in the basement, that would be true happiness.. Great looking stove!

Jason

Hey pen, what size log you puttin' in that beast anyhow? 2 footers or what?

sheesh, ain't no life around the dang thing, no kittys, no sleepin dogs, too dang hot ;-)

nice hatchet too!

ansehnlich1 said:
Hey pen, what size log you puttin' in that beast anyhow? 2 footers or what?

sheesh, ain't no life around the dang thing, no kittys, no sleepin dogs, too dang hot ;-)

nice hatchet too!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The firebox is 18.5 deep and 20.5 wide. I don't have much problems fitting wood in :)

The stove burns much better when loading front to back, so I cut my wood about 16-18.

The old girl takes very wide splits also and tends to burn them best. I certainly can't complain.

I gave plans I had drawn up to a buddy of mine last week for making a smoke shelf or baffle for it. Believe it or not, when you look in the stove, you can see up the chimney! It won't contain secondary burn tubes but will force the smoke (creosote) to spend some more time in the fire before heading up and out.

IMG_1233.gif

The baffle won't restrict me at all as far as loading wood since it will sit in at a level I never stack wood to (above the door). It will take 2 rows of firebrick cut down to 6 inches each in length to fill the baffle. It is designed in a table style that will sit on top of the existing firebrick on the walls.

Even though there is seldom visible smoke leaving my chimney, I know I could burn cleaner and maybe even salvage some more heat with less wood! Or, it might fail miserably!!

Time will tell.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.