Is this to much money

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

Burning Hunk
Aug 13, 2013
Central PA
I have a terracotta liner and want to upgrade to an insulated stainless steel liner. A professional installer wants to rip out the terracotta line and install a six inch insulated chimney for $2,900. Is that high?

Was that quote from us glenn holler chimney sweep richie? just curious if it was i will stay out of the discussion

Ok well how high is the chimney what type of liner are they using what is the roof access like ect. We have done some that were definitely that much but most are less

Ranch house about 3 ft of exposd brick work - rebuild exposed part ( rules here say it got to stay the same) and take out terra cotta install insulated flex liner $4000 ( exterior mortar joints shot , leaking like sieve) ( pricy but was under the gun at the time. It was either get done quick or loose the interior ceiling, remediation of wet insulation ect.)

Sounds pretty high but hard to tell without seeing it

I should asked, but what is the purpose of removing the terracotta liner. It is about 10 years old and I have only really used it for two in burning my furnace.

Is the insulated liner going to fit without taking the terra cotta liner out?

I am not an expert but since you are putting a liner in it shouldn't matter too much if the tiles were cracked or not. The only reason I can think of ripping them out is that the new insulated liner wouldn't fit.

Unless it is a 12 by 12 the old tiles usually need torn out to get proper insulation we do it on almost all of the ones we do unless like i said it is a 12 by 12. And break out should not add that much to the cost it really only takes about an hour usually

How big is the terra cotta liner. I would even try an uninsulated liner then maybe add pour in if it performed poorly before I paid 4k.

Need to know why they c ant just drop a liner in right now.

I sure wouldn't bust out the tiles in a ten year old chimney. Not if I ever planned on selling the house someday.

Why not bb how could replacing a clay liner with a stainless one hurt resale unless it is a fp in which case they tiles would most likely not need broken out. And charles i agree about get more estimates but he is talking about 3 grand not 4 and if the tiles need broken out to get insulation in pouring after the fact will not give you enough insulation to meet the requirement for zeroclearance to combustibles.

Richie is it for a wood burner or furnace? if it is a furnace and the liner will fit i would just drop it and pour you don't have the same insulation requirements for oil or gas that you do for wood

The unless you have the required clearance to combustibles for the outside of the masonry (which most do not) it needs insulated. And if the tiles are 8by 8 or 8 by 12 getting a properly insulated liner in there is usually not possible.
here is a link with the code about chimney clearances
http://www.rumford.com/code/clearances.html

Status
Not open for further replies.