Is this too much for a Jotul F 500 Oslo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiteboarder

Sep 16, 2016
SoCal
Hi,

I'm new to mountain living but learning fast. Since I'm living in the mountains full time I need to replace my "weekender" Franklin stove with something efficient to heat a 1300 sq foot 2 story cabin with high ceilings daily. The cabin walls are insulated, but the high ceilings are not. The basement crawl space walls are non-insulated walls (will be insulating them next year), but at least it's fully enclosed. Part of the upstairs windows are dual pane, but most windows in the house, including the ones downstairs are all single pane. I'll be dealing with temps ranging from 10F (not often) up to 40F in the winter. I would expect the average at night to be around 30F. Southern California mountains.

I'm looking at this used Jotul F 500 Oslo. It's the brown version and it looks to be in 7 out of 10 condition. Not heavily used. The guy has the pipe, but he says it's pretty rusty so I might have to refinish or get a new pipe.

The guys us asking $1200.

What do you think of this stove and the price? I know the brown finish adds to the value/cost as well. I quite like how it looks. Reviews seem to be all over the place. Some love it, some don't. Regardless, anything will be better than my Franklin Olympic. One thing I need to keep in mind is that bringing it up to my home will cost me around $300 with help... So I need to factor that into the price. Buying from a shop might cost a lot more for the stove, but delivery charges might be less.

Attachments

• 20160915_195002.jpg
    20160915_195002.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2,243
  • 20160915_193941.jpg
    20160915_193941.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2,029
  • 20160915_194815.jpg
    20160915_194815.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,767
I've been looking for an Oslo myself. $1200 is way cheaper than a new stove. For a used stove, in my area anyway, it's pretty expensive. If it's in really good condition, I'd be okay with paying $900 to $1000. For 1300 ft with the warm temps you get, a big expensive stove like that may not be necessary. It's all about what you want and what you're willing to pay. You might get by with an old Jotul 118. Those should be like $500 or less.

I got my new Jotul F55 for $2800 delivered and installed.
So considering you are going to pay $1500, plus the stove pipe, plus the work to install, plus the fact that you have no warranty, or any guarantee they haven't overfired the stove, it becomes less and less of a value. Personally I would look for other options, or wait a while and see if he'd take $800 when no one else has shown interest.

The ceiling is not insulated? That is killing you. Ceiling insulation is worth ten times wall insulation.
Also I wouldn't worry much about the windows, the expensive double pane windows don't give that much more insulation than the old single pane windows. Also, the double pane windows will fail and fog up, then you get to pay big bucks to replace them.
Is there a way that you can insulate that ceiling?

I think the Oslo will do the job, and then some.

Welcome to the forums. I'd want to know the production year, and to carefully inspect inside the stove for any cracks and the condition of the gaskets, baffle and any other replacement parts for signs of overfiring. I doubt I'd pay over $1k, maybe less. I got a used Jotul F600 for much less, but it was older and leaking at the seams, so in need of a rebuild. Not a great buy, in hindsight. Plenty of brand new stoves in the $2k range, or less.

$300 seems like a lot to move a stove, too.

You didn't mention your current flue/chimney setup. You'll want to make sure that is up to code if you are going to do serious burning. For many of us, the cost of putting in a properly sized and insulated chimney liner was as much or more than the cost of the used stove!

I've been looking for an Oslo myself. $1200 is way cheaper than a new stove. For a used stove, in my area anyway, it's pretty expensive. If it's in really good condition, I'd be okay with paying $900 to $1000. For 1300 ft with the warm temps you get, a big expensive stove like that may not be necessary. It's all about what you want and what you're willing to pay. You might get by with an old Jotul 118. Those should be like $500 or less.

Hi, we get warms temps here, true. However, where I am, it's the coldest it gets in SoCal. Think well over 5000ft. I think one reason this stove is a little over $1000 is because of the finish. A local shop quoted me $2,700 for the Oslo in black, while $3,400 for the Oslo in this enamel finish.

I got my new Jotul F55 for $2800 delivered and installed.
So considering you are going to pay $1500, plus the stove pipe, plus the work to install, plus the fact that you have no warranty, or any guarantee they haven't overfired the stove, it becomes less and less of a value. Personally I would look for other options, or wait a while and see if he'd take $800 when no one else has shown interest.

It would be $1200, plus an adapter to go from 6" into 8" flute. My current chimney setup is 8 inches. The stove looks in good condition, but I'm no expert. Definitely no cracks or anything like that. That would be obvious to see.

Stove was manufactured in May 2008. As I mentioned in my reply to the post above, I think one thing that makes it so expensive is the enamel finish.

The ceiling is not insulated? That is killing you. Ceiling insulation is worth ten times wall insulation.
Also I wouldn't worry much about the windows, the expensive double pane windows don't give that much more insulation than the old single pane windows. Also, the double pane windows will fail and fog up, then you get to pay big bucks to replace them.
Is there a way that you can insulate that ceiling?

I think the Oslo will do the job, and then some.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ceiling isn't insulate. At least that's what my inspector told me. Also, if I touch the ceiling when it's cold, I can feel the cold. Same thing when it's hot out. Yes, I can insulate it between the ceiling and the beams and cover that, but that's a project for another year. I could also create an attic, although I like the look of the high ceilings.

Thanks for the advice on the windows.

Welcome to the forums. I'd want to know the production year, and to carefully inspect inside the stove for any cracks and the condition of the gaskets, baffle and any other replacement parts for signs of overfiring. I doubt I'd pay over $1k, maybe less. I got a used Jotul F600 for much less, but it was older and leaking at the seams, so in need of a rebuild. Not a great buy, in hindsight. Plenty of brand new stoves in the $2k range, or less.

$300 seems like a lot to move a stove, too.

You didn't mention your current flue/chimney setup. You'll want to make sure that is up to code if you are going to do serious burning. For many of us, the cost of putting in a properly sized and insulated chimney liner was as much or more than the cost of the used stove!

$300 to move the stove is based on hiring 3 guys. The main issue is that I have to bring them in from town and it's a long drive and lots of time. It might be less, that's a bit of an overestimation to make it safe, but still. A local shop quoted me $300 to deliver and install a stove if I bought it from them. Keep in mind, I'm out in the sticks. Everything is a pain to deliver.

I think the stove looks good. The condition overall is great. Could use a cleaning, but no real problems that I can see. The gaskets seems OK too, but I''m not opposed to replacing them. Manufacture date is May 2008.

I believe my chimney setup is up to code. It was done when the new roof was done and I know that the owners at the time pulled permits - which tells me it must have been done to code. My current pipe is 8 inches, so I would have to adapt from 6 to 8. I currently have a stove there that works, I'm just taking it out.

The stove pipe does have a kink of 45 degrees and then another kick of 45 degrees (elbows) to route the upper pipe around off to the side of the gable that was constructed when the new roof was built. Since the stove (hearth?) couldn't really be move because it fits centered between 2 windows, looks like the previous owner opted to divert the pipe instead.

For reference, this is the setup I'm replacing. My intention is to remove most of the lower section of the 8 inch pipe and adapt a 6 inch into it. The rest, after the first elbow, stays. I'll refinish it though.

Seems a reasonable price for an enameled Oslo as long as it is in good working condition with no cracks or warping. Did you inspect the base around the grate? That is a vulnerable location if the owner used the ash pan door to start fires. This is what you would be looking for.

Jotul base crack.jpg Jotul base crack2.jpg

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Agree with BG, seems very reasonable. Jotuls tend to hold value well, we sell the brown enamel for 2839 (3169 MSRP). That stove if treated well will give another 10-15 years of good service. If its in good shape, I'd say thats a good price too.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking for that kind of damage as well. I don't think it has any, but I'll look again. Taking into account that it was built in 2008 and it has been sitting without being used for more than year.... the most use this could have is 7 years. Plus, the stove is down in town, in San Diego, where use would be even more limited as winters are warm. Yeah, the guy selling it is the second owner, so I don't know where it originally was used. I'll be using a lot more than anyone in San Diego would, as it gets really cold up here. But the point being, everything points out to the stove not being heavily used to date.

By the way, I see the photo I posted of the setup I'm replacing didn't show, so here it is again.

20160916_211727.jpg

The Oslo would be a notable improvement.

Reactions: stovelark
That old one looks a bit ratty. But it may work fine. My Oslo has the cast iron burn plates, vintage 2000. That one, 2008 may have the softer material, name escapes me. I like mine as they come out easy. Others can comment on any issues with the newer burn plate. To get my cabin warmed up, I used to burn hot. 650 degree fires for hours. But now, due to pre heating the place before we arrive, I'm normally coasting around 350. At one time, I didn't think you could hurt this stove. But there have been a few people that cracked the base. I think we understood they may have opened the ash door to start up. The enamel finish is great. Mine looks new 15 years old. Just don't let a lot of water spill on the hot surface. Bad door gaskets are no issue to be concerned with. Nobody got around to changing them.

Light usage is good. Other that rust, I don't know of anything sitting around will do to the stove. It's a high quality stove, so move quickly before it's gone.

Outside finish looks good . . . be sure to check the grate inside for any warping. That is the major issue to look at . . .

That stove is plenty big to heat that size house. I heat our high ceiling, 2200 square foot ranch home with a Jotul Castine. Now, I run it hot and maxed out most of the time but it definitely gets the job done.

It doesn't seem like a bad price if it's in good shape. Our Oslo heated 1500 plus sq feet with little effort. I thought it was a great stove. I believe you will be very pleased with it.

Just noticed something- that Oslo has the optional milled oval plate on top. That bugger alone is about 280 bucks MSRP, making 1200 sound like a really good price for a (today's price) MSRP 3449 MSRP stove. Hadn't noticed that before.....

Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking for that kind of damage as well. I don't think it has any, but I'll look again. Taking into account that it was built in 2008 and it has been sitting without being used for more than year.... the most use this could have is 7 years. Plus, the stove is down in town, in San Diego, where use would be even more limited as winters are warm. Yeah, the guy selling it is the second owner, so I don't know where it originally was used. I'll be using a lot more than anyone in San Diego would, as it gets really cold up here. But the point being, everything points out to the stove not being heavily used to date.

By the way, I see the photo I posted of the setup I'm replacing didn't show, so here it is again.

View attachment 184007
We had one of those in our camp. Garbage. You're going to love any wood stove over that old clunker.

Thanks for all the great replies. I just saw the newer ones... Couple of notes.

1. Yes, this Oslo has the burn plate included, so that's quite nice and adds to the value.

2. Yes, I've gotten a fair amount of criticism over the Franklin old clunker I have. But it came with the house. I knew I had to change it the second I bought the house.

3. I have a friend who reckons a used stove should be half the price of the new one, or less. Given $3,400 is the retail on this one... $1,200 8 years later with light use, seems like a great deal.

I'm picking it up tonight. I've already given the guy a $200 deposit. But, before I part with the rest of the cash, I'll look at it again and check for what you guys recommend in the last few comments.

Again, thanks.

Pics to come once installed.

Is the oval cook plate on the Jotul F 500 a factory installed option, or can it be installed later on?

Also, as a safety question, based on temperatures of between 700 to 1000 degrees as cited on other threads, is is really necessary to have a dedicated cooking top?

I don't know of many foods that require the pans to have that level of heat.

If I need to modify the order it must be soon.

Last edited:
The stove top will typically be between 400 and 650F. I suspect if you measure an electric element on a cook stove it will read higher, particularly on high. We have a gas cooktop so I can't verify. Also, those temps are at the peak of the burn. The stovetop can cruise at 500F for an hour or longer and one can move the pot to the side for lower heat.

450 pounds on the Oslo. You can remove a few parts and make it down to the 400 lb range.
So, for 3 guys, 130 pounds each.

Might need 4 guys and definitely get a good dolly.

Hi everyone. We got the Oslo home on Monday night. 4 guys to load, 3 and a half to unload (my 14 year old son as the half, lol). It's hard to describe how heavy it is. It feels like we're lugging a Ford V8 around. Anyway, I inspected it closer, based and all your recommendations. I came back even happier as it looks even better than I expected. Everything checks out. As soon as I can I'll post up some photos of every detail about it. Then when it's installed I'll post photos of that too. Stay tuned...

Reactions: firefighterjake
I suspect you're going to enjoy using this stove . . . and enjoy the heat it puts off even more. There are very few users who have had an Oslo who have not liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.