Is this vent setup ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craigsward

Apr 1, 2009
CT
I just picked up a Harman XXV. I will be doing the install in a couple weeks. I need to figure out what pipe i need and was hoping you guys can comment on whether i'm doing this right.

Here's the plan:
3" Duravent pipe direct vent through the wall. Stove is corner mounted. Plenty of vertical room from ground to vent pipe cap so thru wall installation sholdn't be a problem.

Materials in order of exit from the stove:
3" stove adapter
45 degree elbow
36" vent pipe straight thru wall
thimble
Horizontal cap
Flashing for outside of house

Is this setup ok and am i missing anything? Would it be better off adding some vertical pipe, say a 60" section, to create better draft? Would i be less lkely to get soot on the house if i did this?

Also do you think i should use outside air? And if so aside from pipe do i need anything else?
The stove is beng placed in my downstairs in an open area that is about 700 sq feet. it is located pretty close to a window and a sliding glass door. This is new constuction, 2x6 stick house, R19 insulation, with vapor barrier over insulation, 1" foam board, and of course 1/2" sheetrock.

I appreciate any advice.

I Just installed my XXV earlier this year. Mine was similiar in that we both with putting stove in corner.

I think and Harman manual suggests going vertical 3-5'. They say it will give a better draft, which makes alot of sense. If you do go vertical when you come out with the 3" pipe you should think about going into a tee w/cleanout and one that increases size to 4" on the outlet. You'll need one or two bracket supports also. The other thing is you say you getting a 36" pipe for coming out off the 45, you might want to double check that. If you're not sure exactly how much you length you need consider an adjustable 1 foot length along with another pipe of fixed kegth (1, 2 or 3 foot).

Outside air option would depend on how close you plan to terminate to a window or door. To a small degree, how tight your house is could also be a factor.

I get my stove pipe from a guy in NH, free shipping and he also has done a ton of installs so he can also advise you.

Hope this helps,

Guy

Can't tell from here if your drafting will be adequate. Therefore, you could wait to add extra vertical pipe and see if you get any soot buildup on the house. Make sure to install in such a way it will be easy to add that section.

With new construction I usually lean toward using outdoor air, but just for completeness what else do you have that might create negative pressure: gas hot water tank, gas furnace using indoor air, wood stoves, gas cooking stove, gas dryer, bath or kitchen vent fans, etc?

In the downstairs area there really isn't a whole lot to create negative pressure i guess. There are a few supply vents off the furnace, but no returns. The furnace mainly feeds the upstairs, the pellet stove will heat the downstairs. There is also a fan in the bathroom. And there is a wood burning fireplace about 20 feet from where the stove will go.

Is there any reason to not bring in outside air aside from ease of not having to install another pipe. Is efficiency affected one way or the other?

craigsward said:
In the downstairs area there really isn't a whole lot to create negative pressure i guess. There are a few supply vents off the furnace, but no returns. The furnace mainly feeds the upstairs, the pellet stove will heat the downstairs. There is also a fan in the bathroom. And there is a wood burning fireplace about 20 feet from where the stove will go.

Is there any reason to not bring in outside air aside from ease of not having to install another pipe. Is efficiency affected one way or the other?

Sorry, can only think of reasons to bring it in. ;)

If your nearby wood stove draws in outdoor air you may not need this source.

BTW, the ductwork system on your furnace is neutral (will not create positive or negative pressure) as it is not used for combustion, but some furnace manufacturer allow using indoor air for combustion on even high efficiency models.

One other thing, the stove shop i bought it from is telling me i should just direct vent it out the side of the house with no rise. And i shouldn't worry about outside air. I'm leary of not putting any vertical rise in because i don't want draft issues, and i don't want soot on the side of the house. It seems to make sense that outside air and vertical rise would minimize my worries, no?

To get above the roofline would require too much pipe (probably 25 feet), so i just wanted to go up about 5 feet and use a vertical cap.

I have the selkirk direct vent piping it has the fresh air intake and exhaust in one 6 inch pipe 4 for exhaust and 2 for fresh air, depending on what look your after you could run the pipe up inside your house and then vent out thats what I did and it looks good and I have never had exhaust back up into the house.My setup is 4 feet up 90 3 feet out and no soot on the siding.

Status
Not open for further replies.