Is this weather driving anyone else nuts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyFerret

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2007
Delaware, Ohio
I really would like for the weather to be just a little warmer, or a little colder.

Too chilly overnight to not have some sort of heat on, but it's too warm too late into the evening to light the stove.

I really can't fire up the stove until we have highs in the 40's or less.

My 30 wants to run!! This game of red light green light is killing me!

-SF

You're not kidding, I'm tired of getting up in the morning to a frezzing house. But I'll ride it out as long as I can before I start putting a dent in the wood racks

Welcome to my world. It is like that more often than not here. I call this place Woodurner's Hell. The first guy that comes up with a wood stove that starts out just warm and then does the hot thing at the end will retire rich in two years.

It was down to about 63 in the house last night. I fired up the stove with a couple sheets of news paper, 1/2 of a cardboard box, and an armload of hardwood kindling. Made it comfortable and was still in the high sixtys this morning.

Yeah, I'm tired of chopping kindling every day for a take the chill off fire. If I keep the stove going 24/7 with these outside temps it gets too hot in the house. I had a full load fire last night and it got a little to warm. Tonight the house is holding above 70 so I'll skip the fire til tomorrow. As cheap as NG is, maybe I should just save my firewood for the colder weather?

It was cold here for a couple of days. Had a nice 72 hour fire in the Oslo. Now it's warmer again. I wish it would go one way or the other. I'm ready to burn the stove for extended periods. But I'm also ready to take my boat out a few more times before the freeze.

Decisions, decisions...

Todd said:
As cheap as NG is, maybe I should just save my firewood for the colder weather?

Wish I could by NG by the bucket and bring it home.

I've had two fires so far this season, but for the most part, I'm letting the propane furnace run when we need some heat.

-SF

I moved my office back up stairs from the basement last year to save wood and only have to mess with one stove. Tonight I am back down stairs with the F3 CB burning just to be doing it. It is chilly and wet here so the outside cat is in her bed in front of the stove loving it.

She is an adopted stray from last year and this year she will be the only cat in the world with her own $1,600 wood stove because my wife's 15 year old Tom want's to kill her every time he lays eyes on her.

SlyFerret said:
I really would like for the weather to be just a little warmer, or a little colder.

Too chilly overnight to not have some sort of heat on, but it's too warm too late into the evening to light the stove.

I really can't fire up the stove until we have highs in the 40's or less.

My 30 wants to run!! This game of red light green light is killing me!

-SF

I hear ya, I had a nice fire going in the Liberty for a little over a hour. The basement was 76 and the upstairs is still 71. I let the fire burn down to coals at 5:00.

Zap

BrotherBart said:
I moved my office back up stairs from the basement last year to save wood and only have to mess with one stove. Tonight I am back down stairs with the F3 CB burning just to be doing it. It is chilly and wet here so the outside cat is in her bed in front of the stove loving it.

She is an adopted stray from last year and this year she will be the only cat in the world with her own $1,600 wood stove because my wife's 15 year old Tom want's to kill her every time he lays eyes on her.

So, back to the F3 and the Nordic sits?

Weather warmed up the day after I got my new BK installed... I'm dying to let her rip, but I've learned my lesson burning up too much wood in shoulder season and running out in March... It doesn't cost much at all to burn oil, propane or whatever at these temps though, and the cold will be here soon enough.

We have a heat pump, no NG out my way. I considered putting in a propane tank afew years ago, but I figured that the heat pump is a good complimentary heat source for wood heating. The heat pump is very efficient in the 40 to 60 range. Under 40, I keep the stove hot to shift the load off the heat pump.

It's driving me completely nuts!!! I spent the winter last year, swearing at my stove, and burning with the door open most of the season. This year, I am now fully aware of both the need for dry wood, and how to operate my stove. That being said, I have caught myself running my stove as if it were in the middle of winter, in awe of how much heat it puts out. That means that in no time flat, I've got the inside temp pushing past 80*. If I could only use a little more restraint in my shoulder season fires, I'd be fine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.