Is this Weather for Real!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
Last weekend we hit 78* in Portland, OR. and came within 3* of our highest ever temp for that day. This coming weekend we have a chance of our lowest at 48* for an April 19th - and a possibility of snow. And I thought I was getting ready to button up the stove. What's it like in your area?

Ha, must be global warming. :lol:
It was sunny, breezy and 64 here today. Spring has finally sprung. Swept the chimney yesterday, I think I'm done burning til next fall.

Here in the Catskills of NY, It's 60's during the day, forcast 72 on Friday. But still below freezing at nite, so we're still burning overnite(Mostly ash). This weather makes splitting next years wood a joy!

Same story in Bend. Saturday & Sunday were beautiful spring days. Sunday morning was the first in months that we didn't light a fire first thing. Since then we've had a dusting of snow with overnight temps in the 20's. Both stoves are burning right now. I gotta tell ya, I'm gettin' a bit weary of it...got LOTS to do outside, and I'm tired of being cold. Rick

Seems like one of those anything goes years. We had snow Saturday and it is now warming with daytime temps in or near the 60's . Still cool nights near freezing or so. Just lit the stove getting a few coals for an overnight burn. No fire needed during the day right now.

We didn't have squat for snow this year, thank whatever powers that be, and cold but 78 yesterday and going into the mid twenties tonight.

Woodburner's Hell. The 30 is rockin.

Chainsaw fever hasn't hit me yet.

Same crazy swings here in NM. A gorgeous 74 today... the forecast is for snow Thursday.

bcnu said:
Last weekend we hit 78* in Portland, OR. and came within 3* of our highest ever temp for that day. This coming weekend we have a chance of our lowest at 48* for an April 19th - and a possibility of snow. And I thought I was getting ready to button up the stove. What's it like in your area?

We hit 76 here on Saturday and then this morning it was 38. Welcome to spring.

It was 28* here this morning ...still got a fire going. In years past I had radishes growing by now.

We have been up and down here to.

One day you might get a foot of snow the next it might be in the 50's.

One night it might not get below 40, next night it will get into the teens.

One day it will be so windy that only thing you would have to do to get to work is grab onto a big trash can lid and hold on tight,
the next day still and very stuffy.

One day you will not have a cold, the next day you will.

Winter and Spring is in a fight, my bids are on Spring.

After the 2nd snowiest winter in 140 years of weather records we have just hit a spell of 55 to 75 daytime, 30 to 40 night time, sun, sun, sun, no rain. Snows gone, BB I got chainsaw fever! Bringing in lots of lying dead red maple, and red and white oak, while it's dry. Hope to have a few cord, in 4' length under plastic top cover for later processing within a week or two. :)

Getting much nicer now! 73* today, got some yard work done. Tried to go get some wood still afield due to wet ground. Buddy came out and pulled me out with a 4020 & we dang near stuck that!

Maybe in another week..... If it doesn't rain,..........yeah right.

One load burned in the Lopi this morning. Never lit the worshop stove today. First day in a lot of months I haven't been looking after fires all day. 5 PM and 62* outside, 75* in the house (lots of southern & western sun coming in, decent insulation). Maybe it's finally going to be spring in Central Oregon. I sure hope so, got a woodshed to build and a lot of wood to split & stack. Rick

Edit: That's "workshop"...not to be confused with "worryshop" or "warshop" or "worship" or anything else you can think of.

BeGreen said:
We hit 76 here on Saturday and then this morning it was 38. Welcome to spring.

We're doing that in one day with even more extremity here on the right coast. 68 yesterday, 35 this morning and 80 this afternoon, 40 tonight and 82 tomorrow. Makes for a b-tch trying to decide what to wear spring turkey hunting/hiking - you're freezing at daylight and sweating by 9am.

My stove has been cold for a few days, but it's rainy and cool now. House was 64 and just
seemed like it "needed" a fire. So my season isn't over yet. Brought some nice hickory up
to 600 stovetop temp and ready to take a late afternoon nap.

83 here today my stove is done unless we get snow flakes which is possible here i have seen snow in may

So much for the mild maritime climate in this neck-of-the-woods. Snow,rain,hail and wind today with average temps during the daytime of around 36-40. Frost overnite and the sun is in hiding.

I am dipping into next years wood supply by knocking out a few boards in the "back" of one of my woodsheds so I can get at the first putaway stuff that was supposed to be for next year. I mean, I love my new insert and everything but this is ridiculous!! Enough is enough. :coolmad:

Well, Called off the crew today. Its been snowing since morning here in Lake Stevens WA. and has not let up since.

Bracing for a COLD weekend There is a frost warning for Sat-Mon Could be bad for the fruit trees. I brought in a little extra wood. It's 6pm and only 45*. Probably sounds like whining to those of u who really get cold weather - but gee whiz, I'm ready for some warmer weather. :grrr:

Our local weather is so bizarre. I can look north and see the dark grey front that whphel is experiencing, but we've been in the mid-40's all day and mostly sunny. I do expect the cold to creep in tonight, but so far we're sitting pretty. I'm trying to decide whether to go out an mow, though I would like it about 15 degrees warmer. Oh well, I filled the wood box and started a fire in anticipation of Spring Blast 08.

Status
Not open for further replies.