Is this where the free wood at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Had a guy just stop at the house and park at the wood pile no one was home the wife pulls in and asks what are you doing? he say is this where you get the free wood mrs smooths said take all you need. I dont know a mrs smooths! Wow its starting early he sure didnt pull up to a pile that need splitt...

I'm sure glad you can't see my house/stacks from the road. I would hate having to guard my piles! It has crossed my mind a time or two about someone helping themselves though.

rdust said:
I'm sure glad you can't see my house/stacks from the road. I would hate having to guard my piles! It has crossed my mind a time or two about someone helping themselves though.

someone got 5 cords out of my cousin barn last year with to load up and they took ever stick he had.(off the road and no way to tell what was in it) and at least 10 truck loads

i heard all the free wood was at smokinj's house :)

What a cute recovery line... acting all innocent like there was some sort of wood giveaway. Hmmm... scary thought. You know those CL posting we hate where there is an address and a "I'll take it down when all the wood is gone" for free wood? Talk about a scary scam if someone were to post one of those with your address and then just happen to be one of the first few to answer it!

ALL my wood is visible from the road - I just have to hope that nobody ever decides to steal it or that if they do one of my neighbors is kind enough to say something.

Just clipped the wings on another light fingered schmuck, He was very photogenic ( DVR system). The civil servants in blue (around here) will be paying a surprise visit and a dropping off little present from the city.
I am just a tad touchy about my wood piles.

Ratman said:
2 warning shots. Don't fire the 3rd, simply get the plate# and dial 911.
This is a very important isuue/thread and should be a sticky.

Don't be shootin' at 'em if yer in Michigan....warning shots are not legal up here no matter what you call them. Just throw rocks. Much less likely to end in litigation. ha.

I'd kick back open a beer and let my 90 lb German Shepherd loose................and watch the show!

olskool53 said:
I'd kick back open a beer and let my 90 lb German Shepherd loose................and watch the show!
I like it.... Will you video tape and post it..... then I will pop open a beer and watch.

Sure glad I don't have to deal with these A$$@%#$s!

I ain't afraid to say it or do it. I would not fire a warning shot, not would I miss if I ever caught anyone on my property stealing something. In Georgia you pretty much just have to make sure you shoot them in the front and you can always say they turned towards you and you felt you life was in danger. I'd never live in a place where the unlawful have more rights than the owner/victim.

Also regarding Craigslist. There have been 'pranks' where people have done just that where they list their target and say that everything in the house is free. Every now and then you hear about people getting caught posting junk like that.

Wow. This country and some of the people are really getting scary. I'm so glad we live not only on a dead end road but way back off the road too. We also keep loaded guns in our home and are not afraid to use them if it is needed.

Pretty damned sorry to just steal a man's wood supply like that. :shut:

"oh what sad times are these, when passing ruffians say Ni to an old woman"- alla Monty Python
A simple "quarantine" sign on the wood indicating that it carries plague may help if you must put your wood in view of these "wood stealing street gangs"

Slow1 said:
What a cute recovery line... acting all innocent like there was some sort of wood giveaway. Hmmm... scary thought. You know those CL posting we hate where there is an address and a "I'll take it down when all the wood is gone" for free wood? Talk about a scary scam if someone were to post one of those with your address and then just happen to be one of the first few to answer it!

ALL my wood is visible from the road - I just have to hope that nobody ever decides to steal it or that if they do one of my neighbors is kind enough to say something.
LOL

Maybe you give the neighbor too much credit. It could the neighbor sick of seeing your woodpiles and posting the CL ad for free firewood. It has happened before with all sorts of stuff.

At work we let people post ads on-line to our intranet until they started posting ads for stuff they didn't own. We had to disable the on-line posting and made them hand deliver the ads for one person to post.

LLigetfa said:
Slow1 said:

LOL

Maybe you give the neighbor too much credit. It could the neighbor sick of seeing your woodpiles and posting the CL ad for free firewood. It has happened before with all sorts of stuff.

At work we let people post ads on-line to our intranet until they started posting ads for stuff they didn't own. We had to disable the on-line posting and made them hand deliver the ads for one person to post.

lol the neighbor's on both sides one has 14 I found out he is the "gas co" manger retired 40 years and had 5 cords drop at my house and the other gave me a large silver maple (they have 70+acres they own the corn behind me and I plow there drive in the winter for both neighbor's ) were just corn people in Indiana wood pile's no big deal just the way I mulch my tree's "if you will" no one in front or behind me and no one name "smooth" for sure

I wondered about the same thing this year (especially after all the time and money I put into collecting and stacking wood at the rear of my yard). Wood is difficult to move unnoticed where I am, but, where there is a will ..... (there is a relative?) :lol:

Anyway, being as protective and paranoid as some of you, I covered the wire fence behind the stacks with brown garden cloth so they couldn't easily be seen from the main road on the neighbor's side. My concern around here isn't people looking to heat their homes. It is the many, many people that use those fire pits and chimineas for recreational purposes (a recent and growing fad). Wood isn't easily found or stored in this area. An obvious neatly stacked supply might be too inviting for some to resist.

Somebody recently posted the suggestion to weld a unique "brand" on the base of the splitter that one could use to ID stolen wood. I might have to take my angle grinder and grind a unique pattern into the grousers that are welded onto my splitter. Maybe a Morse code of dots and dashes.

My splitter leaves these crescent indents.

Attachments

• brand.jpg
    brand.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 765
My stacks aren't visible from the road, but they aren't close enough to any house, either. They are halfway down my sister's 1000' driveway.
My dad is worried about thieves. He's all ready with an "I told you so" in case I'm robbed.
I can't imagine someone being so desparate or nasty to steal someone's heat.
after2.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:
We also keep loaded guns in our home and are not afraid to use them if it is needed.

I think I just cancelled my surprise trip to Michigan!

maplewood said:
My stacks aren't visible from the road, but they aren't close enough to any house, either. They are halfway down my sister's 1000' driveway.
My dad is worried about thieves. He's all ready with an "I told you so" in case I'm robbed.
after2.jpg

Holy hell that's a nice pile of wood!! :cheese:

My stacks are not visible from the road but my pile is. I already told my G/F to watch out for wood thieves, I will have to remind her again.

There was a lot of that thievery going on around here last year. Some people don't see it as stealing your heat they see it as reselling your wood pile. Which kind of brings up a thought about the honesty of those that have green "seasoned" wood to sell in the winter as opposed to those that have "seasoned" wood and don't have a place to store it for proper aging. 10 cords of wood is simply grand theft but I wouldn't really want to see someone go to prison for it. I do however like what the old testament says about theft... the thief shall replace what they have stolen up to seven times... put a tether on 'em for a period of time and save us from getting ripped off for their housing, meals, medical, schooling, legal fees...! Hmmm wonder what ever happened to that idea?

Pagey said:
maplewood said:
after2.jpg

Holy hell that's a nice pile of wood!! :cheese:

yes, and I saw the craigslist add giving it away :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.