Is this where the free wood at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you guys take your wood serious! Letting loose your german shepherd? Shooting someone? Shooting warning shots? I guess since I don't have the problem of people stealing my wood (or at least a lot of it), I can't relate to those responses. I am sure that occassionally my backyard neighbor helps himself to some of my wood over the fence. I don't have a problem with it, as I'm sure it's for his campfire. Maybe I should train my cocker spaniel to attack?!

burntime said:
Pagey said:
maplewood said:
My stacks aren't visible from the road, but they aren't close enough to any house, either. They are halfway down my sister's 1000' driveway.
My dad is worried about thieves. He's all ready with an "I told you so" in case I'm robbed.
I can't imagine someone being so desparate or nasty to steal someone's heat.
after2.jpg

Holy hell that's a nice pile of wood!! :cheese:

yes, and I saw the craigslist add giving it away :lol:

yep mrs smooths said take all you can haul!

My wood processing area is visible from the public road while my house is not. My wife thinks someone might try to steal my wood. There are times that strangers will pull into my driveway but leave quickly when my GSD groan goes charging after them.

She may look like a pussycat in this pic but she has a way of letting visitors know who's boss. She will charge at some people at full speed, jump up and shoulder check them. If their hands/arms flail anywhere away from the body, her mouth will find it. I cannot call her off when she gets in that mode and warn people to stay in the vehicle or to hold their arms tight to their body.

If my wife so much as lets out a gasp, the dog will go into attack mode and charge around the yard looking to take out the perceived threat. I don't worry that my wood may get stolen, I worry that she will bite someone and they may try to sue.

index.php

How much does that dog weight?

Dunno, but don't let her Rubenesque look fool you. She can jump and easily match you nose to nose or shoulder to shoulder.

LLigetfa said:
Dunno, but don't let her Rubenesque look fool you. She can jump and easily match you nose to nose or shoulder to shoulder.

the guy next door has one 140 lbs but he has the invisable fence so he cant guard my place. He just sits there waiting.He will knock you down before you know what happen and nails hurt like crap

the cat looks like it could do some damage as well. Look at those eyes!

You all better keep away from this good old boy's wood pile, ya hear?

allamericanwoodpile.jpg

I do get a kick out of some of the threads in this forum ;-)
Frankly I could think of a lot easier ( and more valuable) things to steal than a load of fire wood. Try fencing a pick-up full of wood at your local pawn shop.... :lol:

LLigetfa said:
Somebody recently posted the suggestion to weld a unique "brand" on the base of the splitter that one could use to ID stolen wood. I might have to take my angle grinder and grind a unique pattern into the grousers that are welded onto my splitter. Maybe a Morse code of dots and dashes.

My splitter leaves these crescent indents.

Those should be left in the light fingerd schmucks.

I have one of these 4 legged burglar alarms ;-)

Attachments

• Bella 079_mod.JPG
    Bella 079_mod.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 411
For the most part nobody steals wood. It's much work. If you shoot someone over them stealing wood you'll make fox news just like the guy
in Tx who shot a girl over taking a peach off his tree.Call the cops let them take care of it.

I always turn down CL ads that are listed in the free area that say "just take it, don't call or knock on the door". I can't believe some people would take that chance.

Wood Fox said:
For the most part nobody steals wood. It's much work. If you shoot someone over them stealing wood you'll make fox news just like the guy
in Tx who shot a girl over taking a peach off his tree.Call the cops let them take care of it.

Now that I understand what is involved in preparing wood for burning, I think I would try to steal someone's wife first. There is a lot less risk in my opinion. :cheese:

This is Thor. He weighs 170 .lbs. He guards my wood when I ain't around. Nuff' said.

IMG_0490.jpg

peterc38 said:
This is Thor. He weighs 170 .lbs. He guards my wood when I ain't around. Nuff' said.
What do the other two do, eat the leftovers?

LLigetfa said:
peterc38 said:
What do the other two do, eat the leftovers?

The other two are females so they are a little smaller, 130 and 140 .lbs respectively. Overall, they are friendly, but also are very protective. They make sure your "OK" before they let you out of their sight.

LLigetfa said:
My wood processing area is visible from the public road while my house is not. My wife thinks someone might try to steal my wood. There are times that strangers will pull into my driveway but leave quickly when my GSD groan goes charging after them.

She may look like a pussycat in this pic but she has a way of letting visitors know who's boss. She will charge at some people at full speed, jump up and shoulder check them. If their hands/arms flail anywhere away from the body, her mouth will find it. I cannot call her off when she gets in that mode and warn people to stay in the vehicle or to hold their arms tight to their body.

If my wife so much as lets out a gasp, the dog will go into attack mode and charge around the yard looking to take out the perceived threat. I don't worry that my wood may get stolen, I worry that she will bite someone and they may try to sue.

index.php

Great looking Shepard!!

peterc38 said:

IMG_0490.jpg

WOW, I would hate to have to clean the piles in your yard in spring...did you get a tractor with a loader? :) :lol: :bug:

wendell said:
Backwoods Savage said:
We also keep loaded guns in our home and are not afraid to use them if it is needed.

I think I just cancelled my surprise trip to Michigan!

Good guys wear white hats. Be sure to check which color you wear Wendell. We only aim at the bad guys!

Backwoods, yep, I have a 44mag pistol that I took a deer with last year at 103 yards. That is close for me. My AR's are good to at least 300yds in 3 calibers. My guess is that no one would ever see that distance if I felt threatened. That being said, I do not think I would let a few fly over some firewood. I would not have a problem keeping them there until the cops came...

burntime said:
peterc38 said:

IMG_0490.jpg

WOW, I would hate to have to clean the piles in your yard in spring...did you get a tractor with a loader? :) :lol: :bug:

Yes, the tractor has a loader but I have enough acreage that the piles get dispersed, I only clean the stuff closer to the house. :)

peterc38 said:
Yes, the tractor has a loader but I have enough acreage that the piles get dispersed, I only clean the stuff closer to the house. :)
I trained mine to go in the bush. No land mines to worry about stepping in.

Status
Not open for further replies.