Is this wood scrounge worth driving for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanG

Feb 25, 2015
Charlottesville, VA
It looks like Oak to me but I can't tell. The owner said he just moved into the house and wants it gone ASAP.

Would love to know if y'all could ID it and if it would be worth to drive an hour to get it.

Thanks,

Sean

00L0L_2b6mzid1Pm7_600x450.jpg
00G0G_5EbLPhEjRiY_600x450.jpg 00L0L_5NPp70Ru55_600x450.jpg

Third photo, the bark looks like pin oak. I'm not sure about the rest.

If it's oak or other prime firewood I'd drive out to get it. That's a lot of winter heat laying there. It's a lot of wood, too... hope you won't have to make several trips to move it all.

Looks like some decent wood. Already cut is even better. Guess the 'score' value depends on what wood you already have close to home, cutting opportunities, etc. You say "drive an hour to get it" - talking 30 min each way, or hour out, hour back?

I'd probably skip the two hour trip - easier pickin's close to home for me. But 30 min would be worth it, especially if you already have some business in that area and can combine the trip. Though every situation is different if wood is hard to come by, then it might easily be worth a 2 hour investment.

Rent or barrow a trailer , get it all in one shot . Looks like good wood just not sure what . It'll b worth the trip ( I'm a firewood addict:))

Oak, hickory, oak. 1 hour round trip? Worth it if you've got a trailer.

Mulberry in shed looks like
That's what I thought at first, from the color of the ends and the sapwood, but I haven't seen Mulberry grow mushrooms, so I'm thinking Oak. Second pic, Maple maybe? Third pic looks like White Oak, the king of firewoods. But it's hard to believe you can't find anything closer than that! <>

Oak, hickory, oak. 1 hour round trip? Worth it if you've got a trailer.
That's what I was thinking: #1 looks like probably oak (red), #2 I thought looked a lot like hickory but the bark on that gigantic round isn't hickory bark I don't think (could be from the white oak in pic 3), #3 Is white oak...

Disclaimer: all these pictures are hard to ID because they are so far away. #1 could be anything, as a matter of fact, closer examination reveals a few of the pieces that have better lighting on them may not match red oak for bark. #2 Hickory has a dark heartwood, but numerous trees get dark heartwood when they start to die and/or rot so it could be anything as well, #3 Silver maple and White Oak have very similar barks. Grain, color, medullary rays are the easy identifiers but we can't see that info. If you have a hard time getting wood I would go ahead and make the trip, see what's there and bring back all you can (starting with the premium stuff).

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking: #1 looks like probably oak (red)...#3 Is white oak...
I'm thinking #1 is the smaller stuff off the trunk shown in #3.

I agree the pics are too far away for accurate IDs. The middle pic looks like hickory to me too. It has sap sucker stains in it which they do to my hickory trees. So this person must have been quite selective in his choices. Its a fair assumption its oak and hickory.
I would say yes to picking it up.

If that wood were in my area (Southern Idaho) I would be all over it. But where you live it is probably much easier to get wood. The 3rd photo would do me in - I would be calling and hooking up my trailer.

Looks like good stuff, like these guys said if you can get it all one shot it should be worth the trip; just MAKE SURE if you go that they don't give it to someone else, you don't want to drive all that way for nothing ::-) <> :(

Reactions: Osagebndr
Pic 1 Under the porch: locust
Pic 2 Stacked next to the stump: My guess is cherry, but could be red oak
Pic 3 Rounds on their side: White oak

All very good wood, but driving an hour, I'm not sure. I suppose it depends on how easy wood is to scrounge in your area. Me, I have lots of wood available within 15min, so I probably wouldn't go for it. But your situation may be different. One thing is for sure, all three pictures show very good wood.

By the way, if you can't fit it all in one load, go for the porch wood first, then the white oak rounds on their sides. Lastly get the wood stacked next to the stump.

Status
Not open for further replies.