Is this wool I can use, behind my insert and to use as a soft block off plate???? On ebay..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
block off plate above the damper area with insulation instead of a metal plate, at least that is my understanding but I am far from a expert............ that is why I am here.........

I agree that is a benefit, but I also think, as in one of my other questions posted, it was felt that there may be some benefit, even if small, to capture some of that heat in the insert area to bring out the heatilator holes. Also, if I put a layer behind the stove, then instead of heating the brick, it will keep temp hotter in insert. I am still trying to figure all of this out, before I get the stove in.

Its a sound blocker. I doubt that is what you are looking for.

I was told it is used to block sound but it also is the same mineral insulator stuff that is used for insulating. What is the difference from this and the stuff spoke of here, about mineral insulation?

woodsie8 said:
I was told it is used to block sound but it also is the same mineral insulator stuff that is used for insulating. What is the difference from this and the stuff spoke of here, about mineral insulation?

My installer used fiberglass insulation to pack the sides of the open chimney damper.Since fiberglass wont burn and is used as a insulator they use it.

Pook said:
stanleyjohn said:
woodsie8 said:

My installer used fiberglass insulation to pack the sides of the open chimney damper.Since fiberglass wont burn and is used as a insulator they use it.
fiberglass starts to stink at 300* f i think maybe higher for sure

Only 3 burns since i got it and so far no stink!If i do start smelling something ill give the insulation a look.

Lots of mineral wool is used for sound proofing and is the same stuff used for heat and fire resistance. The chimney insulation I used is called ROXUL and is pure mineral wool used for acoustic deadening. It is good for 2,300+ degrees Fahrenheit. The MNW 1,260 you are looking at doesn't start breaking down until around 1,260 degrees Celsius which is over 2,100 degrees Fahrenheit and should do fine for heat retention in your chimney. If something gets over 2,100 degrees in there the insulation will be the last thing you will be worrying about as you watch from out in the street.

Metal blocking plates are good but if your installers won't do one, they just won't do one. There are a lot more inserts installed without metal blocking plates out there than with them. The MNW 1,260 would be a damn site better than the fiberglass junk a lot of installers stuff up in damper frames.

Also, you can get it from other places. Like here:

http://www.acoustimac.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Let the flames begin. :coolsmirk:

I would use the 1230. You are going to have so much more than you need you will be able to fill up the smoke chamber with it. I have a sheet metal blocking plate but I filled the smoke chamber above it with the ROXUL.

this was the e-bay reply I received. Will this pass for putting behind insert and also in damper area?

Please see info bellow:
Thermal Performance (I-P Units)

ApparentThermalConductivity,

Temp.(°F) MNW-1230 MNW-1260

25 F 0.21 0.21

75 F 0.25 0.23

100F 0.27 0.26

200 F 0.30 0.32

300 F 0. 3 0 0.36

500 F 0.70 0.62

600 F 0.87 0.75

700 F 1.06 0.90

I am not endorsing this product, without a full spec it is hard to be certain what you are getting. It looks like just rigid fiberglass. But do look outside of eBay for comparison pricing. $45 for a bundle of 6 from this dealer.

http://tinyurl.com/6bpcec

None of the above. It is usually made from spun slag if I remember right. That's the mineral part.

Status
Not open for further replies.