Is this worth $60?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're into paying for wood I'd say that looks like a decent deal. Sounds like a pretty average price for a face-cord already split. That photo looks like more than a face cord...

stee6043 said:
If you're into paying for wood I'd say that looks like a decent deal. Sounds like a pretty average price for a face-cord already split. That photo looks like more than a face cord...
+1

looks like closer to half a cord to me.
maybe a little more.

I'd grab it if I was buying cordwood.

varying lengths on some of the rounds but most seem to be 16" - 18".

I normally get most of my wood for free, plus take down trees on my own property, but I'm always on the lookout for a good deal.

Oak is all over the place. It takes two years to season (after its split small), plus you have to split it and deliver it yourself. Look around for some ash, black locust, or silver maple, these season in less than a year and have very high btus.
I think its too much $. Maybe 25$. Offer that, see what happens.

If the dimensions are correctly advertised then my calculator says that pile is just over a half a full cord or 1.5 face cords.

gzecc said:
Oak is all over the place.

Perhaps where you live. :) Rick

Sorry Rick, I only think of the northeast.

Skier76 said:
ksting,
Did you end up taking a look at the oak?

Nah, got out of work too late. Needed to get home to bail out the wife. Maybe if it sits for a few days, his price will drop.

A good point. A price drop is certainly possible if he's not seeing much action on it.

ksting said:
Skier76 said:
ksting,
Did you end up taking a look at the oak?

Nah, got out of work too late. Needed to get home to bail out the wife. Maybe if it sits for a few days, his price will drop.

Just send them an email and state that you will take it off their hand for $30-$40 or so, but $60 is a little steep and to have them keep you in mind if they don't get any offers.

Email him you will buy him a case of beer, and you will load it yourself. Most people are just looking to take a chance to see if someone bites. Include your number, I bet you get a call...

My calculations show about 3/4 cord,

But- big pieces, randonmly stacked meand it probably more like 1/2 cord.

It's not split and it won't be ready this year in any case.

$30. max

Status
Not open for further replies.