Is this worth my time...Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z33

Burning Hunk
Apr 14, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Have a couple logs around the corner from my house. Something tells me they are maybe white oak but but I am not to sharp on this wood Id and even less so with out splitting it open.

IF its a good hardwood I will touch base with them about picking it up.

What do the ID gurus think?

There where about 30 trees taken down here of mixes species so don't let the leaves fool you.

White Oak, I call tell by the leaves on the ground.

Just kidding, White Oak because the bark and wood are very obviously White Oak. Note the brown sapwood that looks different from the heartwood, and the faint medullary rays visible in the end of the log. The medullary rays are light colored lines extending from the center to the edges of the round. In your picture they are hard to see because it seems that the chainsaw scraped up the wood more than usual.

Reactions: Ncountry and Snigg
Wouldn't bet my life its WO. But does look like a good hardwood.

I'd be knocking on their door right now.==c

Looks like the White Oaks we have around here.

White oak

Perfect! Thats what I was thinking. I will swing by there and see if I can talk them out of it. There are at least 5 logs about 18 inches in diamater and 18-20 feet long so it should be a nice little score!

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Perfect! Thats what I was thinking. I will swing by there and see if I can talk them out of it. There are at least 5 logs about 18 inches in diamater and 18-20 feet long so it should be a nice little score!

Was this the church who had a few acres cleared and wanted the wood removed? They wanted a play area for kids I believe. They would be in your area.

Bark looks like white oak, but the leaf in the first pic is southern red oak, Q. falcata. All good firewood.

Was this the church who had a few acres cleared and wanted the wood removed? They wanted a play area for kids I believe. They would be in your area.

No sir but I wish I knew where that was... I would be happy to help them out. These are on a lot around the corner that has been cleared to start building a new home. They have been down about 2 months now so I cant imagine the have plans for them.

Thanks again for the ID fellas

Get all that oak you can!:eek: Then find that church and do a good deed for them and yourself!!;lol

To quote Pen "get it before it rots".

;)

If it burns, it's worth it.

Reactions: D8Chumley
If it burns, it's worth it.

While normally I'd agree with you, I will actually have to do some work to get it to the house instead of my buddy dropping it off in the back yard for me.

Im at the stage (finally) i can be picky. I'm not going to break my back for poplar when I have about 6 cord of oak split and stacked out back.

Hope everyone is warm with friends and family tonight.

True but you don't want to burn that oak in the spring/fall! Poplar/soft mapke/pine good for shoulder season.

Reactions: Hogwildz
I'd rather burn through Poplar, pine etc in the shoulder season, then waste good oak.
These species also come in handy in the single digits when needing a quick hot fix between full loads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dix and Ralphie Boy
I love my uglies, not so perfect firewood in spring and fall. Gets ya through. And saves the good stuff.

Personally, I don't think I could ever be to picky about what ever I can get as far as firewood goes.

Down in Georgia a hell of a lot different than up North.

And there's a lot further North than I am.

It's all relative.

Reactions: Hogwildz
Status
Not open for further replies.