Is to much draft...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snoop832

Nov 21, 2010
Northern NJ
Bad?? My high is reading .80 and my low is around .77... I've tried adjusting the pot, but I had no luck reducing it. Can anything be done?
Set up is Accentra free standing unit with a 4" pipe 5ft long straight out and a 5ft intake pipe straight out.
Thanks

I'm not sure what your numbers represent, and they are a bit confusing as decimals, but that said, "too much draft" is sending all that precious heat out your chimney. Change (gradually) your airflow from your main damper opening to the secondaries, so that (presuming you are operating an newer stove that has secondary burning capability) you are re-burning the gases, and capturing more of the heat that is being generated. That's the goal. (Not to mention the favor you are doing the environment by re-burning all that "stuff" in the smoke that is otherwise being let loose out into the air).

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
I'm not sure what your numbers represent, and they are a bit confusing as decimals .....

-Soupy1957

Pressure differential in terms of inches of water column.

You are correct about more heat going up the flue at a higher setting provided the heat exchanger actually leaves much heat in the exhaust stream.

There is damn little left over stuff to burn in a pellet stove, some of them leave close to nothing.

Well I am testing it with a Magnehelic gauge and it reads from .0 to 1.0 so my reading on the unit is .80 and the other is in-between .70 and .80 presuming it is about .76 or .77. What is the idea range you want the unit to run at? The only thing I noticed when connecting the intake vent tube there is an abundance of air coming through there which is probably my problem with air pressure rather then sucking air into the stove. Any thoughts? Thanks

Andy you need to consult the technical manual for the stove and the pressure differential will change as the stove increases or decrease depending upon the rate at which it is feeding fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.