Is using an 8" to 6" reducer kosher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcc

Dec 12, 2016
Northeast Ohio
I currently have a Jotul 602C sitting in my masonry fireplace. It is hooked into a 6" stainless liner in my chimney.

I'm looking to replace it with something that gives off more heat. I'm looking at a Kodiak fireplace insert that is listed on Craigslist. The Kodiak has an 8" flue collar.

So, is putting a reducer on the collar and hooking it into my 6" liner OK to do?

Pictures of both units are attached.

Attachments

• Is using an 8" to 6" reducer kosher?
    kodiak.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Is using an 8" to 6" reducer kosher?
    jotul602.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 87
So, is putting a reducer on the collar and hooking it into my 6" liner OK to do?
Nope not allowed to do it you can go from 7" to 6" or 8" to 7" but not 8" to 6". It probably wont work very well on a 6" at all.

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: Given that there's probably not too much airflow engineering in that scary old box, you might get away with it to some degree. But do you really want to put such an inefficient old insert in?

For the sake of heat output and wood consumption, I'd consider something a bit more modern.

Code wise, you can go larger, but never smaller with flue size.
I would definitely spend a little more and get a newer woostove with better efficiency. You will thank yourself when you go through 50% less firewood and get more heat!!!

Code wise, you can go larger, but never smaller with flue size.
Nope you can go up or down one size according to code unless specified otherwise by the manufacturer. Otherwise I agree with you

Status
Not open for further replies.