Is Woodstock going to Automated Computer Controls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Dave. Wish I could see one finished right now.

Wow. The time is way off. Says Charly posted at 2:08 and he posted while I was typing. It is well after 5:00 here. Maybe the sun is moving backward?

Current voting results:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...or-a-better-wood-stove?click=pm_news#slide-15

Which wood-burning stove do you think is the most innovative?
Dragon Heater: Horizontal Feed Rocket
2.08%
Firemaster: The IntensiFire
1.94%
Helbro Stoves: Gymse
22.04%
Hwam: Autopilot IHS
1.26%
Intercontinental: 2B4W
0.49%
Kimberly Stove
27.83%
University of Maryland: Mulciber
7.19%
Ofenbau + Feuerstellen: Eco-labeled Tile Stove
0.37%
Inven, Inc.: SmartStove
0.66%
Travis Industries: Lopi Cape Cod
16.36%
Tulikivi: Hiisi
3.14%
Walker Stove
1.31%
Wittus: Twinfire
4.25%
Woodstock Soapstone: Union Hybrid
11.08%
Read more: 14 Bright Ideas for a Better Wood Stove
Follow us: @PopMech on Twitter | popularmechanics on Facebook
Visit us at PopularMechanics.com

The firebox will be 3.3 cu ft as stated in this Blog:

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2013

Wood Stove Design Challenge Finalist

The Alliance for Green Heat has listed the finalists for the Wood Stove Design Challenge, an international competition to build an affordable, cleaner-burning wood stove for residential heating.
Our Union Hybrid, has been chosen among the 14 finalists for this contest. The testing and judging will take place in November of 2013 on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

UNION HYBRID PROTOTYPE IN THE LAB
The Alliance for Green Heat press release stated:
"The Union Hybrid stove is designed to be clean, efficient, affordable, and fun to use. The Union Hybrid stove is an advanced performance hybrid: it employs secondary combustion and a catalytic combustor, along with a self-regulating air/fuel ratio for maximum output and efficiency. The Union Hybrid stove is also a materials hybrid, using steel, cast iron, and soapstone to build durability and thermal mass into an affordable final product. The styling of the Union Hybrid stove pays homage to American Industry and Manufacturing by incorporating an industrial design aesthetic."

The Union Hybrid will have a firebox of approximately 3.3 cubic ft., and burn cleanly at a wide variety of outputs. The Union Hybrid will be front loading only. More details will be provided in the coming months.

Design Team (clockwise from lower left): Jason Guimaraes, Lorin Day, Harold Garabedian, Larry Young, Tom Morrissey, Ken Blum, Lewis Thibodeau, missing: Dan Batchelder & Kristie Haupt
For Woodstock Soapstone Co. Team information, please use the link below:
http://www.forgreenheat.org/stovedesign/teams.html#t13

LABELS: NEW STOVE, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT, WOOD STOVE DESIGN CHALLENGE POSTED BY WOODSTOCK SOAPSTONE CO. AT 2/07/2013 04:30:0

I believe that part of the reason the poll isn't doing better for them is the lack of info on what is "new". An electronically controlled wood stove is pretty innovative.

I'm hoping Woodstock surprises everyone with better controls then anyone ever fathomed .. For sure that would show the great "Union" of minds working there... Maybe there will be no automated controls ;sick ... Just have to wait and see...

I believe that part of the reason the poll isn't doing better for them is the lack of info on what is "new". An electronically controlled wood stove is pretty innovative.

A poll like this is easily pumped up by friends and fans. You can vote multiple times. I don't think it means much, especially if the total vote count is low.

Reactions: Jags
Like the Kimberly diamond? The price is pretty outrageous, but it sems like anything in a boat costs 2X normal.

I wonder how much the judges are going to use the poll to see what the consumer demand is?

I think there are some good ideas put I hope the lean towards practical real world solution that an average american homeowner can use.

So of the ideas are not practical for the average american home.

I cant see a setup for a boat winning.

Plus some of these solutions dont mention how many hours of burning you get out of a load of wood.

I think some of those stoves will only burn like 4 hours.

I would ask everyone on here to vote and spread the word so we the consumer can make a statement.

I wonder how much the judges are going to use the poll to see what the consumer demand is?

I suspect there's very little relation between poll results, and the number of people willing to lay their cash on a stove of a radically new design, particularly when one individual can vote many times. Too many are in the, "let's wait for them to work the bugs out," camp for a poll like this to translate into any immediate demand.

Agreed. Hopefully the judges will ignore the poll. Like I said, too easy to rig the vote with friends and repeat voting.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If you have a problem wih the burn of your stove, just re-boot it!!

Must be "fun" testing" these stoves, when it is 100degrees+ outside!

If you have a problem wih the burn of your stove, just re-boot it!!

Must be "fun" testing" these stoves, when it is 100degrees+ outside!

That does seem to complicate things a bit. ;lol

Interesting stuff. Makes me kinda proud to be part of the Woodstock Soapstone family of owners.

Interesting stuff. Makes me kinda proud to be part of the Woodstock Soapstone family of owners.

So Steve, would you go to another Open House if they have one?

Would love to see you and the Mrs again Steve. Same with us; if the timing is right.

Sounds like the automated controls discussion is over. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.