Is your stove install inspected for insurance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deezl Smoke

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2015
Oregon
A reply in another thread begs the question, "is your stove installation inspected for insurance purposes?

If yes or no, would you say whether you rent or own and whether the stove was there when you moved in or not?

I rent, and installed my stoves myself. Never have I been asked what sort of heat is used, nor if any appliances were installed professionally. I live in rural Oregon.

I own. I installed it. Insurance company wanted make, model, diagram of location of stove, clearances, etc that's it..

I have installed my own and have had them professionally installed. All have been inspected by my town (I was the very first pellet stove for my inspector back in the 90's) and my insurance company is aware of them.

In Canada, I don't know of any insurance company that will insure your house without a proper inspection these days. The only way around it is of they don't ask you if you have a wood burning device.

When I installed my new stove and had the whole installation certified, I had to sign a release that the old one was removed and could not be used.

Own my house. Did my own install. Called insurance and city inspector before install. Gave insurance make, model, certification and install plans.

I had the room so I doubled the clearances from walls and by at least 1/3 to 1/2 added to the tile hearth underneath. Took pics that the insurance wanted, sent to them, everything OK. Then a week or two later insurance called wanted to see the install. My agent told me that someone in corp didn't believe it was my install, that the pics were from a showroom somewhere.

They came looked and said, "oh, ahh, yup, OK!" off they went, never seen them since, 10th years now.

self install, own our home, all the ins. co and township asked is if it's installed per manufactures specs which all 3 stoves have been.

Last edited:
Own house

One unit was in when we bought other one we had installed

Insurance just wanted to know if we had it wett inspected which we did and approx how much wood we burn. County inspected as well!

That's all the info they wanted. I asked if they wanted copies of the inspection reports which for some strange reason they said they didn't.

Self installation, got all required building / modification permits in place prior to starting the install. We own the house (well, the bank owns most of it).

Contacted the city to send inspector to sign off on the installation.

Brought copy of signed off permit to the insurance company, filled out all the needed forms. Was told there would be no increase in the premium.

Seems to be good.

I asked if they wanted copies of the inspection reports which for some strange reason they said they didn't.
In my case the WETT inspection report is faxed directly to the insurance agent and he would not give me a copy. I had to get a copy from the insurance agent. I thought that was pretty cheap of him.
I had to do the annual wood usage report also.

Back in the 70's, I put up a masonry chimney, and installed a wood stove.
Told the insurance company, they said okay, thanks.
Asked if I was still burning wood about 10 years ago, during some sort
of update... I said yes.
If they ask again, I'll say yes...
They have never been to my house. I have never made a claim.

Reactions: DneprDave
In my case the WETT inspection report is faxed directly to the insurance agent and he would not give me a copy. I had to get a copy from the insurance agent. I thought that was pretty cheap of him.
I had to do the annual wood usage report also.
Inspector gave me report
Insurance didn't wanna know anything but that I had it done and approx how much wood I use in each unit. My renewal is coming up and I just got quoted by another company who wanted more info like what you had to do. I'm Leary to change companies as mine seems pretty easygoing about the whole wood heat thing.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I own.

I installed mine in place of an old wood stove. I was going under the assumption that I wouldn't need it inspected since it wasn't technically a new installation. Since I didn't want to end up in a situation where my homeowners insurance wouldn't cover me due to an un-inspected pellet stove, I called the town. They said I in fact did need an inspection. I applied for the permit, waited, got the permit, then scheduled the inspection, waited more, then got it inspected. While waiting for the permit/inspection I used the stove but didn't leave it running at night or while I was away. The inspection was completed in less than five minutes. Then I called my insurance agent who just needed to notify the insurance company in writing of the change - they didn't want any further information (perhaps because there was a stove already there?).

With the way most companies operate, I'd definitely encourage everyone find out if they need inspections from their insurance company and city/town/county. I'm sure no one here wants to be out tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars due to a denied claim, or have to go through what imagine would be a long legal battle, if a homeowners claim gets denied.

I installed mine and had to have it insapectes before I could turn it on. Insurance just wanted a copy of the report and photo of the install. The dealer I bought it from gave me the run around saying they didn't do that. And gave me grief about their service area being only 40 miles from their shop. I live 41 miles door to door.

Own. Dealer installed. Insurance didn't care as long as I still had my oil furnace working.

I own my home. Dealer installed with permit. All I had to do was notify my insurance and they made a note on my policy. No increase in premiums.

Own my house. Had a Harman 52i (fireplace insert) professionally installed in October 2013. In my town, that required a permit AND an inspection by the fire chief after install, which are both on record.

I guess I should report it to my insurance company? Since I had it professionally installed AND inspected per the town, it didn't occur to me to do that too. Oops.

Installed my own, followed manufacturer's recommendations, I told insurance, they said OK, told the county they said ok too, no one wanted to see it.

I own and the insurance agent came and took pictures with a yard stick to show the clearances were more than appropriate and sent them with the pertinent pages from the user manual. No premium increase.

In Canada, I don't know of any insurance company that will insure your house without a proper inspection these days.

Here, nobody inspected my pro-made installation, neither the city nor the insurance. They asked nothing, no brand and model, what price paid, who installed it, plans, pictures, or anything. It's merily mentionned as an auxilliary heating source in my insurrance contract!

Last edited:
You guys are so good about the insurance and inspection thing. the only people who know about my stove are my wife, myself and my dog. Of course, my stove would pass easily. Its installed exactly per manual and all clearances are exceeded. In addition to that there are 2 CO detectors, 2 smoke detectors, the Nest Wifi smoke detector/CO monitor with cell phone updates and and a camera on the stove.

You guys are so good about the insurance and inspection thing. the only people who know about my stove are my wife, myself and my dog. Of course, my stove would pass easily. Its installed exactly per manual and all clearances are exceeded. In addition to that there are 2 CO detectors, 2 smoke detectors, the Nest Wifi smoke detector/CO monitor with cell phone updates and and a camera on the stove.
If you (heaven forbid) have a fire, do you think your insurance company will cover you, since you didn't tell them you installed a stove?

Reactions: FirepotPete
there are 2 CO detectors, 2 smoke detectors, the Nest Wifi smoke detector/CO monitor with cell phone updates and and a camera on the stove.

All this stuff is very nice to put out a house fire while your at work! !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: FirepotPete
You might have your stove installed exactly per the manual but not by local code. Never underestimate the ability of a government zoning/code inspector to make your life miserable. And then there's the insurance company that can deny a claim because you didn't tell them you have the stove and it wasn't inspected. No thanks, I'll ask them what they want and make sure it is at least what they want and then even more for my own peace of mind.

Last edited:
I knew those responses were coming. The orginal intent was to do the proper permit then insurance thing but it never happened. I will have to get on that someday. probably in the summer, so that if they want me to make changes to it i'm not without heat.

Here, nobody inspected my pro-made installation, neither the city nor the insurance. They asked nothing, no brand and model, what price paid, who installed it, plans, pictures, or anything. It's merily mentionned as an auxilliary heating source in my insurrance contract!
I think you are very lucky and I cannot explain why. I have had some long discussions with WETT about their certification process and they were no-win phone calls. I have had 2 WETT Inspections and in both cases different people, they did not know their code. That really bothered me. In both cases I passed only due to the fact that I had the manual and knew all of the code, mostly due to being on this site so much.

I know of many people who simply shut down their stove after finding out if would not pass and their insurance would be cancelled.
Unlike the US, the competition is not nearly as vigorous among companies.

My guess is that your company will visit you after someone audits their records and finds the mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.