Is your wood covered yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Have you covered your wood yet? I covered mine up yesterday evening. We're supposed to get a few days of rain and I don't want to have to dry it out again.

We had a week of rain 2 weeks ago and it still doesn't seem to have dried back out yet.

I'll probably take the cover back off for a while after the rain stops.

Matt

I have enough covered to get me through until the stuff that getting rained on dries out.
A cord of Oak and about 3/4 cord of Pine is covered ready to burn.

i've been taking mine off and throwing it back on when it rains takes about 5 minutes and i get the best of both worlds. right now covered gonna get rain tonight and tomorrow morning

I covered the 1.5 cord of locust and hard maple last weekend and moved the other 4.5 cord into my screened in patio..therefore covered.

At the risk of taking this thread back to the topic, the bulk of mine is not covered yet. I do have a little less than a cord in a wood crib outside the garage for now.

We're supposed to have a few warm dry days coming so I'll probably cover with the next threat of rain.

I moved it into the woodshed a couple weekends ago.

It's been covered since may.I all ways cover as i stack and works for me. ;-P

What do you guys mean by "covered"?
I've had some plastic on the top of mine all summer.
Been moving some (like a car's volume) into the garage.

Oh my god. here I am watching the Joe Torre live webcast and this "Mets" sign shows up!

Ended up buying the carport from costco this year (I had asked about it earlier in the year). So far this has worked out extremely well. Only took about 1/2 hour to put up. I did NOT (and will not) attach the sides, its just a big roof on poles. Its pretty solid, no problems so far. LOTS of great airflow across the wood with this. In theory, it can shelter 11 cords (if you stacked it 20x10x7). I currently have 5 cords under it (18x8x4.5), all up on pallets with a nice one foot buffer all around so all wood under it stays completely dry. I'll have to post some pictures...

The carport was $170 (its 20 feet long and 10 feet wide)

I split my wood, stack it on pallets and then cover it with vinyl siding I found free on Craigslist. I put the vinyl locked five wide and then lay it on the top of the wood pile that I have made as even as I can on top and slightly tapered for rain runoff. I keep the vinyl in place by using rope over the top going side to side. It has been through some pretty strong winds and stayed in place so far. I have six cords covered since spring using this and it looks very ready to burn. I have other ready to burn drying longer than this so I won't be burning the vinyl covered for a while.

budman said:
It's been coverd sence may.I allways cover as i stack and works for me. ;-P
I'm with Budman, once its basically seasoned I cover it, top cover only or put it in a woodshed. Then again I have about 25 cords and I only use about 4 a year so I need it to last a while. %-P

Yeah, the problem with me is that on my plastic arrangement, it doesn't overhang so that the water doesn't touch the wood-in places anyway.

velvetfoot said:
Yeah, the problem with me is that on my plastic arrangement, it doesn't overhang so that the water doesn't touch the wood-in places anyway.
A little water on the edges of your wood pile will dry almost as fast as they get wet. The main thing is keeping water from getting down into the center of your wood pile IMO.

My big stack has been covered since last January....and my other single row stack of Hickory has been covered since June. Only the top gets covered and I leave hang overs front and back.
(see picture)

Thanks,
The WoodButcher

Attachments

• wood_2007.jpg
    wood_2007.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 432
Are those 2x4's supporting the plastic? I like it.
For me though, I'd probably wind up bumping them while humping out the wood between the rows with the wheelbarrow.

WOODBUTCHER said:
My big stack has been covered since last January....and my other single row stack of Hickory has been covered since June. Only the top gets covered and I leave hang overs front and back.
(see picture)

Thanks,
The WoodButcher
Did you use a plum line on that stack. :p

Dang. Woodbutcher - that gets my vote for the best lookin' stack of wood I think I've ever seen! Clean, straight lines - wow! I will only say that the wood looks like it is pretty tight - not a lot of room for air. But if it is already seasoned, that might not be an issue.

In response to the original question, I don't ever cover my wood unless there is threat of snow. I have just enough of an overhang at the house that there is always a few dry logs to get started with - any others will dry off inside by the time I'm ready to burn. The only thing I really hate is having a couple inches of crusty snow stuck on the log.

Corey

I went ahead and covered it. We have our first rain in over a month coming tonight.

Attachments

• oak 2007 - 2008.jpg
    oak 2007 - 2008.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 373
I covered mine 2 weeks ago. Then I uncovered them 2 days ago to get a little more sunlight on some splits of gum showing fungus. Then it rained today! Waaaaah!

i bought split rail fence posts at lowes and notched out the bottom holes with a sawzall so that a 2x4 would fit snug, I ran 12' treated 2 x 4's and put concrete bloclks in the center. the bottom opening on these posts are about 10-12" off the ground. I have 4' of stack on the 2x4's and room on top of the posts to nail down a tarp, I think it works well. If I could find a few 12' sheets of tin siding, it would be perfect.

My firewood has been covered on and off since spring. I use black tarps hooked up to my garage and draped down over my piles and hooked the other end of the tarp with a 2x4. When I want to uncover I just roll it up. Now it's staying covered through the burning season. Next spring I'll uncover as weather permits.

Attachments

• 100_1003.JPG
    100_1003.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 331
Status
Not open for further replies.