Isle royale-blower or no blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnpolk

Sep 15, 2012
Hello,
Just installed our quadra fire isle royale wood stove and I'm trying to decide the best way to get the air circulating around the house to achieve a more consistant temp and not cook us out of our family room. I have not yet installed the factory blower. Is it worth the money? Should a guy get the cheaper one off amazon? How about just using house fans? Any advice is appreciated
John

How big is your house? How big is the room the stove is in? Is it an open floor plan? Is the stove partially in a chimney?

Hi John, welcome. The Isle Royale nice choice for a big area- The blower will help circuilate air faster throughout the heating area but if your house is not set up to disseminate the heat throughout (open as BB above said) you would prob have better luck trying to induce air flow into other rooms with a fan in those rooms "pulling" (versus "pushing" air away from the stove) warm air into the other areas. Your salesperson should have discussed all.. what type of house what area are you in needed info. Best thing to tell you nice stove hope you have big area to heat. Good luck with it let us know. Sold lots of quads years ago great heaters.

Stovelark
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Empress FPI AC pellet

Thanks for the replies. The house is a ranch, and about half of the floor plan is open. That area is the living room, kitchen, dining room and entry way all of which is open. The other half of the house is a hallway with the bedrooms. The Main level is 1400 sq ft. Just hoping to pull heat into hallway and bedrooms without cooking liviving room. Was planning on using fans to draw heat down hall. I just don't know if the 300$ blower is worth it.

I would try it without the stove blower. It can be added later. You will need to move some air. Do this by placing a table or box fan at the far end of the hallway, on the floor, running on low speed. This will blow cooler air down low towards the stove area. The displaced cool air will be replaced with warmer air from the stove room.

Note that this is a serious and big, radiant heater. If the house is well insulated it may be a bit overwhelming during milder weather unless the goal is to always have an 80F house.

Thank you. I am concerned that it may be to much of a stove but we will try the fans and go from there.

Hey John, did you end up getting a blower or running it without it? If so what blower did you go with?

No I never did. I was happy with the heat distribution without the blower, but I would like the blower for when the stove gets away from me and is getting hotter than I am comfortable with. The blower is pretty spends so that's what holds me back. In another thread you said you ordered the warming shelves. What do you plan on using them for? How much we're they?

Yea I'm on the fence with the blower as well. I think I'm just going to see how it does for a while.
I actually got the warming shelves more for the looks than anything. My old resolute had them and I loved the look of it. It's also nice to set a kettle on or just other things while you're cleaning or starting the stove. I'll post some pics when I get them on. Should have them tomorrow

They were $299 from my dealer. Hopefully I'll have picks to post of them tonight

I use the blower to keep the stove top temp regulated. If I am running smaller fires, I don't use it. When I am running hard in the dead of winter, I use it to keep temps of the stove in control.

I use the blower to keep the stove top temp regulated. If I am running smaller fires, I don't use it. When I am running hard in the dead of winter, I use it to keep temps of the stove in control.

Makes sense Jags. You've convinced me to consider it again

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.