1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Isle royale Floor Protection

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Kobeman, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Kobeman

Kobeman New Member

Loc:
    Iowa
    Kicking around the idea of changing stoves and have found a 1 yr old Isle royale that I like. I've read on here that it only requires ember protection on the floor but I downloaded the manual and it says 1in of K value .45. I called the local Quad deler and he said the same, Did something change? Or did I not read about ember only? Rest of the clearances work but my hearth is only 3 layers of 1/2" durock topped with 1/4" tile. Any Thoughts? Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  3. Kobeman

Kobeman New Member

Loc:
    Iowa
  4. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, I have both manuals and noticed that too. Is your hearth made with Durock NexGen or the original Durock cement board? Maybe ask IR owners here how hot their hearths are getting?
  5. Kobeman

Kobeman New Member

Loc:
    Iowa
    It's NexGen
  6. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    My hearth doesn't get very hot, but I have tile on top of cement.
  7. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'd be tempted to try it out, but prepared to add more layers of Durock if it's regularly getting very hot.
  8. Kobeman

Kobeman New Member

Loc:
    Iowa
    I think that is the plan, I found a spec sheet for the hearth pads Quadrafire has listed to sell for the stove and it says it is an R 1.08. Makes me feel comfortable along with talking to some owners of the royale. It is open unfinished basment under it so I can monitor the bottomside for heat transfer till I feel good, as you said worse case I redo the hearth and I think I'll be wise and go buy more matching tile just in case that day comes.
  9. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Is there a cement floor under the hearth? If so, worst case scenario just remove the hearth and put the stove on the slab.